Beer and Cigars pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchmen

Reaction score
I am a big fan of beer and cigars but new to the home brew scene. I haven't found the right beer to make or drink with my cigars. What style/brand/recipe beer do you drink with cigars?

I'm no cigar expert but I do smoke them from time to time. I like them with darker beers like porters. I would think they would also go very well with something like wee heavy.

I have a Rochefort 10 in the fridge I am saving for a special occasion and a Final Absolution Clone in the secondary I'll try those for sure. I have a porter currently second on the que that I should brew early next month....any suggested recipes? I brew extracts currently.

Hoppy beers and cigars don't lend well to each other. Belgian/French ales, stouts, ESB's are my go to beers when smoking a cigar.

I think my top beer styles to pair with a cigar are an English Barleywine or an Imperial Stout...preferably barrel aged variations. To me, a cigar compliments the sweet bourbon/vanilla character of these styles very well.

sweet heavy beers are the best I have found. I haven't tried any barrel aged beers with a cigar but I would bet it would be good. I have found that the cigar just overpowers any lighter beers.

Definitely have to go with a darker beer IMHO. The Deception Cream Stout recipe in the stouts section of the forum is incredible with a good dark cigar. I personally love the CAO Brazilias.

hmmm im surprised no one has yet pointed out the fact, that cigars are much like beer in the sense they can have many many different flavours, and therefore different cigars would go with different beers, one cigar might be good with one stout, and another cigar good with a certain ale.

Depends on the cigar but here's a combo I love:
Cigar: Genesis the Project
Beer: My dry stout, it's dry and sour like Guinness but with some additional chocolate notes.

Definitely have to go with a darker beer IMHO. The Deception Cream Stout recipe in the stouts section of the forum is incredible with a good dark cigar. I personally love the CAO Brazilias.

Thanks I'll put this recipe in the queue..I think it will go well with my Don Pepin Garcia blues.

hmmm im surprised no one has yet pointed out the fact, that cigars are much like beer in the sense they can have many many different flavours, and therefore different cigars would go with different beers, one cigar might be good with one stout, and another cigar good with a certain ale.

Totally agree with you. I love both beer and cigars but just beginning to experiment with pairings.

I really like the spice and complexity of a Fuente Cuban Beliciso with a rye IPA. A Joya de Nicaragua antaño would be great too.

A friend of mine has made a recipe for a Maduro stout. She LOVES cigars and wanted a beer that would not only pair well but harmoniously enhance the cigar's flavors. I am no longer a smoker but I have had cigars when I was a smoker and I can say this stout tastes like a good unlit stogie. I can understand how this would make the cigar better.

With her permission I reposted the recipe up, it is in my drop down. We are actually planning a revised version as a "collaboration brew" but the current recipe is a proven, tested and working recipe.

I may get flamed for this, but.....New Brew Thursday has some episodes with master pairings of beer and cigars that are pretty interesting and might be a starting point

Back