I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine that in Heaven, we will be all-knowing. Every question answered, every mystery explained.
According to the Belief O Matic questionnaire(three times), I am 98% Quaker. This prompted me to research a bit, and I think I could be comfortable with their style.

Have you ever done it Quaker style? I haven't but am always looking to learn something...

You and I would be fast friends if not for the miles that separate us. Your presence here really does warm my heart.

Dont worry about that.. someday .. Ah crap! Lightbulb just turned on. Has there ever been a get together amongst homebrewers of this thread? Could we pull off some sort of HBT "I like this time of night" get together? Planning things is not my strong part. Anybody here that knows how please chime in. We're spread across the country. But sure would like to have a beer with you guys. "That" would be heaven.

Now lets talk about the mead I made. It was the joam recipe and it is fugly looking still. 6 weeks in and I would not drink it. Black looking and just plain ugly

Did you even taste it? Sometimes ugly things taste really good. Like lobster.

Hubby and I finished the chicken trailer thing today. My hands are all cut up from the chicken wire. Worse part was getting all the chickens moved in. The white ones are mean, biting and scratching me. Hubby won't touch the chickens so his helping, was quick, grab this one, and that one's getting away! And hurry, more over here are trying to get away! :(

passedpawn said:
Please don't get into any type of debate about religion.

I don't think it was going there... I know I certainly wasn't going to. I think the core group here is well enough acquainted with each other to be above a petty debate in the glorious thread about, well... :drunk:

so, since there are moderators in here maybe I can get some help. I use the app 99.9% of the time and it has become useless. why doesn't the regular app allow me to do anything but view threads?? cannot reply, see messages, see subscribed, login/out...it has somehow become worse than the beta, which I thought was damn near impossible. I have reinstalled only to have no change, anyone else having this trouble??

Stauffbier said:
Sorry Passedpawn. I think it's my fault with my German sayings.

I love that little snifter with the red lettering. My moms headed over this year, I'm going to have her keep an eye out for any unique glassware.

Oatmeal cookie beer... Bobbi! Start working on a recipe.

After the apple mint gruit gone wrong, I'm taking a break from experimenting. Actually tried to taste it again today, just to see if I noticed anything different yet from adding the brown sugar a week ago. Got past the smell and got it into my mouth, but not for long. Had to spit it right back out. Had I been able to get it down, a lot more stuff would have come back up. :(

After the apple mint gruit gone wrong, I'm taking a break from experimenting. Actually tried to taste it again today, just to see if I noticed anything different yet from adding the brown sugar a week ago. Got past the smell and got it into my mouth, but not for long. Had to spit it right back out. Had I been able to get it down, a lot more stuff would have come back up. :(

Give it to the chickens?

Careful there, you might end up in non-heterodoxy territory. :fro:

By definition, the things I described are pretty much as "heterodoxy" as it gets ;)

bullsh!t ;)

I agree 100%. People always try to fill in the gaps when things are beyond their understanding. Sometimes it's just better to admit that you don't know. I don't know if aliens exist, for example. One time on LSD I thought that I saw a large starcraft passing overhead, but deduced later that I was just really really high.

The hell you mean, bullshìt?

And then you go on with some apparent bullshìt of your own. ;) The reason I know so much about certain prescription drugs? Contrary to what the TR would probably tell you that I have an excessive need and overuse of such medications, the real reason is actually the same reason I'm a neuroscience student:

LSD!

I've been interested in the human brain for a long time, but my experiences with psychedelics, especially LSD, led to a very keen interest, particularly how the the psychical brain gives rise to the mind and consciousness, and how physical events and substances can modify consciousness, hence a very serious interest in not only neuroscience, but psychopharmacology as well (my backup plan if I couldn't get into med school was pharmacy).

And yet I don't know a single person (or even a reliable report) who's taken it and ever seen anything that's not actually there - pink unicorns, demons, starships, what. There are indeed visual effects (though it's difficult to describe to most people who haven't taken it how sensory "hallucinations" are really only secondary, less important effects),, but they are better described as illusions rather than hallucinations - shimmering colors, the floor rolling in waves, the walls breathing, and sometimes an odd experience of objects appearing much smaller, larger, closer, or further away than they really are (eg Alice in Wonderland syndrome). Music in your head can even suddenly seem audible. But stuff that isn't really there at all becoming visible in a manner that looks even partially integrated into reality? Now *I'm* calling bullshìt. ;) The only way you'd likely see something not there is simply by confusing one object with another, similar object or objects.

On a related note, psychedelics are really the only thing that I've experienced that I might possibly describe as a spiritual (perhaps even religious) experiences.

...But stuff that isn't really there at all becoming visible in a manner that looks even partially integrated into reality?...
Wait, that isn't what LSD does to you? I've experienced every single one of the other effects you listed without chemical intervention.

Not that it was on my list to try anyway, but now it's really not. If I can achieve the effect without the chemical, then what's the point of the chemical?

By definition, the things I described are pretty much as "heterodoxy" as it gets ;)

The hell you mean, bullshìt?

And then you go on with some apparent bullshìt of your own. ;) The reason I know so much about certain prescription drugs? Contrary to what the TR would probably tell you that I have an excessive need and overuse of such medications, the real reason is actually the same reason I'm a neuroscience student:

LSD!

I've been interested in the human brain for a long time, but my experiences with psychedelics, especially LSD, led to a very keen interest, particularly how the the psychical brain gives rise to the mind and consciousness, and how physical events and substances can modify consciousness, hence a very serious interest in not only neuroscience, but psychopharmacology as well (my backup plan if I couldn't get into med school was pharmacy).

And yet I don't know a single person (or even a reliable report) who's taken it and ever seen anything that's not actually there - pink unicorns, demons, starships, what. There are indeed visual effects (though it's difficult to describe to most people who haven't taken it how sensory "hallucinations" are really only secondary, less important effects),, but they are better described as illusions rather than hallucinations - shimmering colors, the floor rolling in waves, the walls breathing, and sometimes an odd experience of objects appearing much smaller, larger, closer, or further away than they really are (eg Alice in Wonderland syndrome). Music in your head can even suddenly seem audible. But stuff that isn't really there at all becoming visible in a manner that looks even partially integrated into reality? Now *I'm* calling bullshìt. ;) The only way you'd likely see something not there is simply by confusing one object with another, similar object or objects.

On a related note, psychedelics are really the only thing that I've experienced that I might possibly describe as a spiritual (perhaps even religious) experiences.

You guys ever find yourself applying an accent while you read a post? Like Erkel?

Seriously, It can be entertaining.

emjay said:
But stuff that isn't really there at all becoming visible in a manner that looks even partially integrated into reality? Now *I'm* calling bullshìt. ;) The only way you'd likely see something not there is simply by confusing one object with another, similar object or objects.

To clarify (and I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about this) the particular incident I mentioned would have fallen under you criteria of visual distortions. It was a very clear night, the stars were bright indeed and it seemed as though a large portion of them were sliding along in the silhouette of a large ship shaped object. I've done massive amounts of these types of drugs through my teenage years and into my 20's, and the only times I've "seen" things that weren't actually there was in my minds eye.

I'm also trying to phrase a question regarding whether or not you think psychedelics are producing these effects in them of themselves, or if they are really just triggering some sort of mental domino effect. I've seen many people try to take them and had a profound incompatibility with the experience.

PP, I'm more than willing to discontinue this if it somehow conflicts with HBT protocol.

Acid is the same thing as LSD? Been a while, but used to love the stuff. Once, back when I was young and bartending, I went to work on acid. This guy asked me for a beer and I noticed I could see right through him. Maybe because I had seen what was behind him enough times, I "remembered" it. But I told him he had to become more visible before he could have a beer. Then poured us 2 shots of whiskey, and suggested it could be the cure. And it worked, so I got him a beer. All the hoses looked like robotic living creatures. Made it through my whole shift somehow, my customers had a blast, probably something to do with all the free drinks. Then when I got off work, I left my car there and walked home barefoot. About 3 miles and all the textures on the ground were glorious. Only reason I went to work on acid, is because I had been up the whole night before, doing acid, and it was wearing off and I needed to sleep. But I had to go to work so I just dropped another hit and went on in. :fro:

To clarify (and I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about this) the particular incident I mentioned would have fallen under you criteria of visual distortions. It was a very clear night, the stars were bright indeed and it seemed as though a large portion of them were sliding along in the silhouette of a large ship shaped object. I've done massive amounts of these types of drugs through my teenage years and into my 20's, and the only times I've "seen" things that weren't actually there was in my minds eye.

I'm also trying to phrase a question regarding whether or not you think psychedelics are producing these effects in them of themselves, or if they are really just triggering some sort of mental domino effect. I've seen many people try to take them and had a profound incompatibility with the experience.

PP, I'm more than willing to discontinue this if it somehow conflicts with HBT protocol.

I read your entire post with a Spicoli accent. That makes me some sort of expert on this here subject. So you's all better listen. Thank you very much.

I like the music. Don't understand it. The blond girl with mud coming out of her mouth... crap! I don't understand any of it, catchy tune though.

I guess I'll take that as a compliment. Considering usually you drop off the face of the earth, offend me to my core or call me a woman when I reply.

This mead is for you buddy.

This post might be off track. Then again, I hope no post here would be said offtrack since my hope is, like the TV show "Cheers!". Everybody knows your name and who you are is who is well accepted.

I want to post a video, my daughter's influence once again. This song I've played before but the intent of this video is as far as I'm concerned.. a very good way to live life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now lets talk about the mead I made. It was the joam recipe and it is fugly looking still. 6 weeks in and I would not drink it. Black looking and just plain ugly

JAOM just sounds gross to me in general. Mead with orange juice sounds quite unappetizing.

That's not at all true! I've always had hybrid tiff-green (golf coarse grass), and every dog I've ever owned left little yellow, dead spots everywhere they pi$$ed. I will agree that cat pi$$ is far worse, though. That stuff can ruin ANYTHING it touches! Stupid cats!
Sure, some dogs are worse than others. Also, people who already fertilize their lawn with plenty of nitrogen are obviously going to be prone to more nitrogen burn from any urine.

My papillon has never burned the grass like that though, and living on a very dog friendly street in 2010, where almost all of the older residents (as in not as new), where most people just let their dogs roam off-leash, frequently unaccompanied, despite municipal bylaws (and not about to be dictated to and have things completely changed by people who just moved in), nitrogen burn was pretty unusual despite there being plenty of dogs peeing everywhere.

I think a lot of the time, stray cats or other animals cause those problems and they naturally get blamed on the dogs that people see. If it is your dog, he may be getting too much protein in his/her diet.

Dont worry about that.. someday .. Ah crap! Lightbulb just turned on. Has there ever been a get together amongst homebrewers of this thread? Could we pull off some sort of HBT "I like this time of night" get together? Planning things is not my strong part. Anybody here that knows how please chime in. We're spread across the country. But sure would like to have a beer with you guys. "That" would be heaven.
There was a big get together in mid March... how come you missed it?

Did you even taste it? Sometimes ugly things taste really good. Like lobster.

Hubby and I finished the chicken trailer thing today. My hands are all cut up from the chicken wire. Worse part was getting all the chickens moved in. The white ones are mean, biting and scratching me. Hubby won't touch the chickens so his helping, was quick, grab this one, and that one's getting away! And hurry, more over here are trying to get away! :(

Oh man I love lobster.

And... try wearing gloves when you handle the chickens. A cheap, rough leather pair would be great for avoiding bites and scratches... and salmonella!

Please don't get into any type of debate about religion.
I don't think it was really a debate so much as a discussion of beliefs. I didn't detect any arguing.

I don't think it was going there... I know I certainly wasn't going to. I think the core group here is well enough acquainted with each other to be above a petty debate in the glorious thread about, well... :drunk:
Yes, this.

Wait, that isn't what LSD does to you? I've experienced every single one of the other effects you listed without chemical intervention.

Not that it was on my list to try anyway, but now it's really not. If I can achieve the effect without the chemical, then what's the point of the chemical?
It's actually pretty much the safest illicit substance there is. And yes, those illusions happen without chemicals (more accurately, without exogenous chemicals), and the so-called "flashbacks" are thought to really just be these natural occurrences that people never really noticed previously, and after the chemical experience, are better able to recognize it and associate the experience with those prior, intentional experiences, thus believing them to be CAUSED by them.

However, anybody who takes it for the visual effects is pretty much an idiot. As I said previously, they are really only secondary. They have a profound (if I could describe it in only one word, profound would definitely be it!) impact on the way you think and your thought processes, often facilitating a greater understanding of certain things and a greater capacity for seeing the relationships between various concepts. It's notoriously difficult to describe to the uninitiated, as it's very much a different "reality" (in fact on first use, many people even have a hard time seeing how it's even possible to go back after so "unlocking" the mind) but I really think it's the one thing humanity could benefit from if most (mentally capable and mature) people even just tried it once. There's a reason Steve Jobs (among many other very successful people) described it as possibly the single most important experience in his life.

Okay, makes more sense.

The effects are only poorly understood, but a major way it's thought to work the way it does is to disable "filters" the brain puts in place in early childhood in order to be able to focus just what the brain thinks is important for survival.

As for "bad trips", the major causative factor is excessive dosage. Modern doses in single-serving units are fine for almost everybody. Other, "natural" psychedelics (Iike mushrooms) are more likely to cause problems because strength can vary quite a bit without anybody intending it or being able to detect it. I deal with depression and anxiety, sometimes quite severe, but even I never had a major problem (only one bad trip on anything, which was an EXCESSIVE amount of mushrooms), so most people should be fine. For perspective, I could never handle weed at all; in fact, it's the only thing I COULDN'T handle, and causes me a great deal of psychological distress. The other possible contributing factors are what are referred to as "set and setting" - that means going into the experience with a positive (mind)set, and staying within a setting that you can decently control, to minimize the chances of being overwhelmed by things that could affect your mindset in a negative manner. A buddy who can help you keep calm and positive is really a must for many people, and really anybody without prior experience.

Also relating to the mindset part, if you're doing it for the funky sensory effects, you're doing it for the wrong reasons... it's really just like a voyage to the center of your mind and psyche, and not everybody likes evrrythonh they find. It really serves to "amplify" everything in your mind. So if you're not mature enough or otherwise unprepared, there is certainly a possibility it will become overwhelming. It's a tool that needs to be given immense respect.

All that being said, it's not something I've done since I was 21.

Now, on a different subject, the other thing I wouldn't mind you clarifying is why you called bull on my claim of atheism. :p

Acid is the same thing as LSD? Been a while, but used to love the stuff.

Yes, the exact same thing. I used to love the stuff too, and it really allowed me to learn a great deal about myself and to "work" on myself, so to speak. Never mind your great big green bag for facilitating the creativity you need to make another CD... a little square piece of paper can do oh-so-much-more! ;)

And yeah, that stuff will keep you awake alright, much better than caffeine ever could. Not because it's much of a stimulant, but because you just can't stop THINKING SO INTENSELY.

Most of the music I listen to is more modern, but most if you seem to be into older tunes. I could post just about anything from strange days (that album SOUNDS like acid!), but here's something simple, that for some reason I'd love to see in a zombie movie or even trailer. It was a pretty popular song when it came out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ5WeXtOacU

I guess I'll take that as a compliment. Considering usually you drop off the face of the earth, offend me to my core or call me a woman when I reply.

This mead is for you buddy.

Oh what do I say? Brewingmeister if I was an ass to you I sincerely apologize. For real. The limited space we have here to talk, sometimes things don't get put across well. Know please, I'm not a jerk and wouldn't say anything bad against a fellow man here on this site. Wouldn't do it to anybody. That's possibly a lie because there is one person I know (not associated with this site) who did a very big wrong to me. Very big. Life changing wrong

You, BM are not and have never ever been in that category.

emjay said:
Now, on a different subject, the other thing I wouldn't mind you clarifying is why you called bull on my claim of atheism. :p

I'm not sure why, but I just do not consider you to be an atheist. I don't think you believe in God either, so it's a complicated assessment based on intuition of someone I've never met. I think that given the right "set" and "setting", you would probably believe, accept, come to terms with. I also suspect based on the same intuition that some of the people I come into contact with who claim to be believers in fact are not. In both cases, it's not my case to judge anyone.

And I know for a fact that the use of psychedelics has permanently changed my software. The most noticeable effect was that I became incredibly empathic while under the influence. Like training wheels, after the effects were over my ability to read people and discern emotions remained. Definitely a tool or a weapon though. It would be very easy to manipulate people when you can basically read their thoughts and feelings like a book. I remember one particular incident when myself and two close friends took it, and were communicating on an almost telepathic level, only using words in the most sparing manner and yet fully aware of what the others were experiencing.

I remember one particular incident when myself and two close friends took it, and were communicating on an almost telepathic level, only using words in the most sparing manner and yet fully aware of what the others were experiencing.

LOL. I've had that happen before, I know exactly what you mean. Definitely one of the stranger experiences.

Seriously though, other than what it's allowed me to learn about myself, the biggest effect it's probably had is on the way I'm able to understand art and media. Not exactly the most significant example (with more subtle examples it's a lot harder to explain), but I remember watching Family Guy just once while on it, and realizing how terrible it all was, from the animation to the dialogue to storytelling. It was a show I actually enjoyed at the time (might have been 20?), but after that day I haven't been able to watch it since.

Even live action movies and TV I kind of just developed a more critical eye, rather than simply "seeing the movie" and only really perceiving it as a whole, I rather quickly started to see each shot for its constituent components, and even the acting as artificial and the sum of an actor's deliberate choices. Probably not to the same degree, but I imagine it's similar to the way an experienced director or actor sees things. Was it really a good thing? Hard to say... there's a lot of stuff I just can't tolerate anymore that I once could. But at the same time there are things I am better able to appreciate, and I've never really been one to subscribe to the whole idea of ignorance for the sake of bliss.

Not the song I was trying to find. Was sung at my bride and my wedding.. Elvis wasn't there. The song was sung all in Hawaiian.

I'm going to get on my high horse and then step off

Aloha mai no, aloha aku;
o ka huhu ka mea e ola `ole ai.

When love is given, love should be returned;
anger is the thing that gives no life.

Dan said:
Dont worry about that.. someday .. Ah crap! Lightbulb just turned on. Has there ever been a get together amongst homebrewers of this thread? .
Bigbeergeek and I got together to a couple beers a few weeks back. We were on the same night schedule but I think he switched it up so we haven't met up since. It was nice to just chill with a brew or two.

Ravel Bolero. If you can't get laid to this then it will be a good idea to live life in a monastery.

Back