Electrically Challenged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerverry

Reaction score
So, I have decided that I'm sick of buying yeast for every batch, so I'm building a stir plate.

However, after a trip to my local surplus store, I realized that the minimal electrical training I had in college has all but disappeared.

So, I ended up leaving the surplus store with a fan, some rare earth magnets, and a speaker line attenuator.

I had a old DC converter laying around that I hoped would work, but now I'm not so sure.

I connected the DC converter to the fan with no reaction.

Here's the info I can gather from the fan/converter.

Converter: Output: 12V---2A, 5V--2A

Fan: 115V~; 50/60Hz; 7/6W; 75/65mA

As for the speaker line attenuator (intended to be used as a voltage regulator, to control the speed of the stir plate) there are no voltage marking on it. Just your typical 0 - 11 settings.

Am I way off base here?

Your fan doesn't work because it needs 115V AC to power it. You will want to return it and get a computer fan that is meant to run off of 12V DC.

crane said:
Your fan doesn't work because it needs 115V AC to power it. You will want to return it and get a computer fan that is meant to run off of 12V DC.

Last time I trust their signage. Sigh.

Back