Electric Pottery Kiln Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my daughter is taking classes on throwing clay. I'm looking into the possibility of helping her build a wheel, and then of course I start thinking about a small Kiln so she can fire her creations herself. The information I've found indicates that you can use some soft brick for a kiln, and some Kanthal Wire as a heating element and fire small projects with 120V.

The biggest cost seems to be in the controller. They are going to like $80+.

My mind thinks that I should be able to power the element using a PID and SSR like I do my electric brewing elements.

I don't really "need" another project to play with, but I have always wanted to try my hand at a pottery wheel and I think she will like it (Although I will wait to build it until she is done with her introductory course before deciding to follow through...)

Of course you can use a PID + SSR for this. The PID will need to have a greater max temp capability than your intended firing temp. You'll need to use a type K thermocouple temp probe for a ceramic firing temp range. You'll also want to get the highest R insulating firebrick available if you want to reach temp with only ~2000W available. That type of firebrick is pretty soft (you can nick it with a fingernail) since it is basically ceramic foam.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks. I hadn't thought about finding a PID with a 2000F temp range. It's obvious now. I am not sure I have one of those, but I'll check online.

All in all it doesn't seem out of reach to do. She said she will probably need a wheel first, so I think I'll be focused on that design before worrying about owning a small kiln. I think we can load projects into the kiln in town for a small fee.

Isn't it amazing how much stuff we might have picked up through brewing that we get to apply to other projects. I used one of my temp controller setups to keep my herb greenhouse warm this winter by using an stc-1000 with a probe in a container buried in the soil of one of my plants.

Well, I wish I could use one of my PIDs, but I believe they only read in the hundreds of degrees.

I did find a kit online with 2400F PID, SSR, and K-type Thermocouple. For $20...

Latest posts

Back