Electric Homebrew System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a BE Mash & Boil. Just did my first brew on it yesterday. Just like any new system it will take a few batches to dial it in, but all in all I love it. It's so much easier and more user friendly than my old stove top system.

What systems are you considering?

There are several options to choose from really, each having their pros/cons. First, you may want to decide how much power you have available (120/240) which will help filter down some options for you.

I'm currently waiting to see what Spike and SS brewtech come out with for ebiab this winter to make my final decision. I do not currently have one to provide any first-hand experience or recommendations. However, I would suggest checking reviews and brew day videos from YouTube to become familiar with what's out there.

I'm sure I'm going to forget a few, but some options are Robobrew, Mash & boil, digiboil, anvil all-in-one, Unibrau, Grainfather, Speidel/Braumeister, brewtools, picobbrew, and brewie. There are tons of posts on this forum that will help guide you as well. I would suggest digging in and researching what aligns best with your budget, power, and personal preference. Cheers and good luck!

I had little space so I had to go with a all in one system . I bounced between mash & boil and Robobrew . Then ultimately pulled the trigger on a Grainfather. Had it for 2-3 years and I'd do it all over again. My efficiency is in the 80's and am very happy with it . Well worth the money imo. I suggest you look at all of them , research and make your decision on which one best fits your needs .

I'm currently waiting to see what Spike and SS brewtech come out with for ebiab this winter to make my final decision.

+1 on this

I have the High Gravity 120v system. Two brews in and really like it. Would have preferred a grain basket instead of a bag but all is good. Going to take a couple more brews to dial it in. For me, takes about 45-50 min to get to mash temps then about the same amount of time to get to boiling.
I can see myself keeping this system for a couple years then upgrading to a 240v. But for now I'm satisfied.
Clawhammer also has a system but I opted for the HG because of the boil coil (2200 watts vs 1600).

While I prefer SS Brewtech equipment over Spike, I ended up going with the 20G Spike+ Brew System. It's expensive, but with the 0% financing that Spike offers, couldn't beat it. Plus, SS Brew Tech didn't have a system like this to offer that came complete with everything needed. I love the system and would do it all over again.

If you have the time and patience to buy everything that comes with the Spike system separately, you can actually save a lot of money. I think when I was contemplating it, you could build the system yourself for $5,000 (buying it from spike you pay almost $7,000).

Of the current 120v systems I like the Unibrau. It looks simple, and all the parts are easily accessible and replaceable. I would worry about the element going bad in one of those where it is sealed up inside the bottom of the unit. And if the controller goes bad the whole thing will have to go back to the factory or it is junk. Grainfather excluded.

I already have a 10 gallon 3 tier gravity system and will probably go electric with what I have. Gotta figure out 240v or 120v and where I can set it up.

Of the current 120v systems I like the Unibrau. It looks simple, and all the parts are easily accessible and replaceable. I would worry about the element going bad in one of those where it is sealed up inside the bottom of the unit. And if the controller goes bad the whole thing will have to go back to the factory or it is junk. Grainfather excluded.

I already have a 10 gallon 3 tier gravity system and will probably go electric with what I have. Gotta figure out 240v or 120v and where I can set it up.
The same reason I was looking at the High Gravity or Clawhammer type setup. I'll likely add the element to my current kettle. Haven't figured out if I'll buy or build a controller yet, where it's going to be setup.

I'm currently waiting to see what Spike and SS brewtech come out with for ebiab this winter to make my final decision. I do not currently have one to provide any first-hand experience or recommendations.

Ditto! I currently do small batch BIAB on the stovetop but have been on hiatus as we moved from VA to FL a few months ago. In the interim I wanted to ramp up to 5 gal batches and had designed a DIY single vessel eBIAB systems based upon the Auber Instruments "Cube". However there's lots of off the shelf 120v and 240v systems out there (1 vessel eBIAB to traditional 3 vessel systems) depending on your space and power availability. For me, now that we're settled in our new place I was just about to began buying components when I got an e-mail from Spike a few weeks ago about their eBIAB system in development. Hold the phone! So I too have entered a wait and see mode. I'm partial to Spike's stuff (I have one of their CF5 conicals) and was planning to use a custom Spike 10gal BK for my DIY eBIAB setup. So Spike, if you're reading this you guys can't get the details out fast enough!

About a year ago I bought the Smash and Boil on sale for $239. Have done already 21 brews between extract and all grain and learned a lot. Super happy with it. Yes a 240v unit will save you time but for a starter unit I highly recommend it. There are a lot very similar even with same control panel. Shop around. A recirculating addition is a good one.

Back