Electric 3-tier HERMS semi-automated system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsteeves

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reading my thread. I am a new to HBT and am building an all-electric 3-tier HERMS system. I would very much appreciate any feedback/suggestions on my design. I've included the basic schematics for layout, HLT heating/recirc/fill operations, MLT HERMS and sparge operations, BK boil/cooling operation and temperature probe diagram.

Here is a link to my system's basic schematics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uszvfjfw57pvvuu/AAD5ax0Jw97DJgGxksSQpuXqa?dl=0

I've designed my system to be capable to automate a majority of the HLT/MLT operations, while the BK operations are largely non-automated. I only wish to dial in the HLT/MLT settings before the brew, add crushed grain, and adjust sparge valve during the HLT/MLT operations - automation will do the rest. I have not shown the level sensor capability in my schematics, but these sensors will be included in my final design ("continuous" sensor in HLT, discrete min/max in MLT, BK). I will be doing automated fly sparges by having two discrete, adjustable-height level sensors separated by a "deadband" that will tell the water pump to turn on/off after a small amount of wort has left the MLT. Note that valves with blue tops represent electric (controllable) valves.

The main reason that I'm going with a 3-tier stand is because my apartment has small floor space but very high ceilings. My stand is very much like one that is available on the mass market but is a quarter of the price to fabricate and is dimensioned to fit my space. There are benefits to the 3-tiered setup as well (e.g., gravity priming Chugger pumps so I shouldn't have to worry about this). I've included a dimensioned 2D drawing of the stand. The stand will use a T-slotted centre mast, and mounting the shelves will be similar to designs used for mass-marketed version.

One thing I haven't seen is a design where the valves are at the bottom of the kettles, with the manual ball valves fitted with quick disconnects for washing purposes (so that kettles can be removed easily - manual ball valves will stay on kettle, electric will not). I do this in my design to reduce the amount of hardware sticking out, again thinking of space (I'm able to do this thanks to the vertical height I gain in using a 3-tier system). I also think that it will help with general operations (draining the kettles completely dry). My brew stand will of course require holes in the centre of the large kettle shelves. What do you think?

I'm currently building the kettles and will contract the building of the stand after the design has been "vetted". My automation will use a PLC (programmable logic controller - probably the Click system), but that is a topic for another day. The goal for my automation is to initially setup the system on a brew day, pour in the grains when needed, stir the mash once or twice, crack the ball valve to obtain the correct sparging rate, and then takeover operations for BK. The time saved from automation can allow me to concentrate on cleaning bottles/fermenters, adjusting mash pH, and working from home.

Thanks for reading my post! Any comments/critiques/suggestions welcome, positive or negative!

Back