elctronics help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I have a magic bullet ( like a small blender if you don't know) that I would like to turn into a stir plate. My stir plate I have now is about dead. Is it possible to install some sort of rpm control? The rest of the modifications should be pretty easy. Thanks

Most motors expect a set voltage, so instead of restricting voltage (resistors, potentiometers) like some light bulbs and small fans can use, you really need pulse width modulation (PWM) to send rapid on-off-on signals to the motor. Try e-bay for an "AC motor speed controller"

you are going to have to PWM it down pretty far, a blender is much too fast for a stirplate at full power.

true -
Beerbelay - you'll come out cheaper starting over with a computer muffin fan and an old cellphone charger. Look at the other stir plate builds all around the DIY forum. Some have complete wiring diagrams.

I have a magic bullet ( like a small blender if you don't know) that I would like to turn into a stir plate. My stir plate I have now is about dead. Is it possible to install some sort of rpm control? The rest of the modifications should be pretty easy. Thanks

Depends on the motor. If it's a plug in model then it's likely the same type motor that's in a electric drill. Limit voltage to that motor and the current will go way up & the motor will get incredibly hot before it burns out.

Back