First Recipe Attempt: Lower ABV IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
There are two things I'm trying for in this first recipe:

1. A sub 6% ABV IPA
2. Use one kind of hops to help better my understanding of how it specifically influences the taste and aroma.

Does this look sane?

Code:
Recipe: Test Batch #3
Brewer: Steve
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 2.82 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.60 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 gal              Waterford, NY                            Water         1        -             
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         2        7.7 %         
6 lbs                 Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)              Dry Extract   3        92.3 %        
1.50 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4        41.6 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min        Hop           5        21.3 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           6        13.8 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast         7        -             
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days     Hop           8        0.0 IBUs

It looks like a pretty good recipe. If you're trying to get an idea of the hop specifically then you could theoretically leave out the crystal and have the batch finish a little lower, but if you prefer your IPAs with a little bit of malt sweetness than leave it in there. One thing I would mention is that your 30min Chinook addition is kind of a waste. Its too early in the boil to retain any of the aroma compounds and a decent number of the flavor compounds, but its also not a typical bittering addition. I'd suggest moving the 30min addition to a flameout (0min addition) instead. The 15 min addition will give you some good flavor, but not much in the way of aroma, while the flameout addition will preserve some of the aroma compounds (in addition to the dry hops). You may need to add a few more 60min hops to keep your IBUs about the same, though, so be sure to check if there's a certain value you're trying to hit.

I agree with moving the 30 addition to later. I am a fan of chinook but some people find the bittering a bit harsh from it. With a lower gravity and the fairly simple grainbill I'd probably back that down. Using the hops you have maybe something like 1.75 oz at 60, 1 oz at 15, .75 oz at flameout, 1 oz dry hop (not sure what that comes out to but I was thinking to shoot for about 60 IBU).
:mug:

One thing I would mention is that your 30min Chinook addition is kind of a waste. Its too early in the boil to retain any of the aroma compounds and a decent number of the flavor compounds, but its also not a typical bittering addition. I'd suggest moving the 30min addition to a flameout (0min addition) instead..

Thanks!

Is that recommendation based on the hops being chinook or an overall recommendation with hops?

I agree with moving the 30 addition to later. I am a fan of chinook but some people find the bittering a bit harsh from it. With a lower gravity and the fairly simple grainbill I'd probably back that down. Using the hops you have maybe something like 1.75 oz at 60, 1 oz at 15, .75 oz at flameout, 1 oz dry hop (not sure what that comes out to but I was thinking to shoot for about 60 IBU).

Cool, I'll throw this into BeerSmith tonight and see what IBU comes out!

If you are going for a lower gravity IPA, I would focus on the FG. The big problem with a lower gravity/ABV IPA is that you wont have a high enough FG to balance the bitterness or give you the mouthfeel typically associated with an IPA. I would try and have that recipe finish at 1012-1016, depending on how you like your IPAs. In order to do that you should definitely use a less attenuative yeast than the Chico strain, especially since you are not brewing AG and cant raise the mash temp. I would also consider using more crystal. Play with the recipe in a software that will help estimate the FG(although those estimates aren't always that accurate).

If that beer finishes at 1010 or below, which as it currently stands it probably will, it will not be a lot of fun to drink, especially with 70+ IBU's.

Drakes 1500 is a beer that comes to mind, it is a pale ale range gravity (1.055 or so) but aggressively hopped with American hops with a grainbill of just 2-row and crystal 60 and chico yeast. It's a great beer with lots of hop flavor and aroma, but fairly dry and the bitterness definitely comes through. I just looked it up and the IBU's on it are only 48, I would have guessed more which speaks to Xpert's point.

Thanks for the information guys. My LHBS carries a good amount of wyeast ... is there a specific one you guys would recommend over the American Ale packets for a lower ABV IPA like this?

Wyeast 1968 or WLP002

Not sure what your brewing experience level is but be aware you are attempting a tricky style. The idea of a lower ABV IPA is simple, the execution another thing all together. There are many threads that I suggest you search for and read up on. In those threads are many experienced brewers with their trials and tribulations attempting this goal.

I only have two batches under my belt at this point. I didn't realize it was a tricky style. If it's out of my league to do maybe a hoppier pale ale would be better?

I've taken the suggestions with a little modification from the thread. Brought down the amount of hops and when they are used. Added a bit more to the OG. IBU's dropped quite a bit.

Code:
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 gal              Waterford, NY                            Water         1        -             
12.0 oz               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         2        10.3 %        
6 lbs 8.0 oz          Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)              Dry Extract   3        89.7 %        
1.25 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4        32.0 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           5        12.7 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min         Hop           6        0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast         7        -             
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days     Hop           8        0.0 IBUs

I think that version looks pretty good - either with the ESB yeast or the chico strain. You can always ramp up the hops from there on future batches if you wish, but I think that will be a nice beer.

Report back if you brew it!

Thats looking far more reasonable. I think it will be pretty good as is. 1.25 oz of chinook is a large bittering addition, I rarely use that much in a 5 gallon batch, and when I do its for a huge stout or IIPA.

If I were you I would try to get most of my IBU's from late additions as opposed to the bittering addition.

If it were me, I would maybe bitter with .5 oz, and do anywhere from a half to an ounce at 10, 5, and 0. I'd also dry hop with 1.5 oz.

Also, I know I said to increase crystal, but I always have 5 gallon batch in my head. In a 2.5 gallon batch I think the original 8 oz should be appropriate.

Its totally up to you, this is all IMO, YMMV, ect.

Here is a good article on the topic from what I consider a very reputable source. http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/01/vienna-malt-session-ipa-recipe.html

Even though it's almost totally different than the first pos here is the final recipe being brewed right now. I decided to just call it a American Pale Ale since it fits pretty well in that category according to BeerSmith.

Code:
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
1 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain         2        14.3 %        
6 lbs                 DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM)      Dry Extract   3        85.7 %        
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4        27.0 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           5        6.7 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min         Hop           6        7.2 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min         Hop           7        0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) [124.2 Yeast         8        -             
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days     Hop           9        0.0 IBUs

I'll report back how it goes. Cheers :mug:

Have a few more days of dry hopping left. The final OG was 1.017 (~5.1 ABV). I have not tasted it yet as I tend to be a bad judge of warm, flat beer.

Have it in the keg pulling pressure. It tasted pretty darn bitter in its warm and flat version. Hopefully the flavors will brighten up with coolness and bubbles.

(Updated after carbonation evened out)

A - Orangeish and slightly hazy. White head which retains well and holds lacing.

S - Sweet, fresh citrus! Oranges and some tropical fruits.

T - Orange, mango and a little sweetness spiked with some lemon on the front of the tongue. Middle moves to a pine bitterness that lasts into resiny bitter. The end continues bitterness keeping the drink refreshing.

M - Light. I think using some maltodextrin or something else could improve the mouth feel. It's not terrible but for the amount of bitterness present the body seems a little on the weak side for my taste due to the resin feel. It's within an acceptable range though.

O - Quite good and I'd consider it a success for my first recipe. However, my tastebuds tell me it could use some work to get a taste better balance. Originally I thought it was too hoppy for a pale ale but now that it's carbonation is where it should be (and it's had a a bit more time) I think it's about the right amount (Mine: 40.9/55 = 0.74 SN PA 37/53 = 0.70) but the other present flavors could use some modification to get it where I want it.

Probably modifications for next brew day:
  • Add a small amount of malodextrin for added body.
  • Dry hop with at least 2oz instead of 1 to overpower the mangoish aromoa from the yeast.
  • Irish Moss addition

Back