Fragile vs Long Lasting Aroma for Various Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyCB

Reaction score
I've found that Nelson Sauvin hop aroma (though fantastic) dissipates very quickly even if it's imparted though late hop additions as well as dry hopping. Other hops in the same dosage seem to stick around for much longer and even strengthen for a few weeks before starting to gradually recede (Amarillo, Centennial, Galaxy, Sorachi Ace). Has anyone else observed this? Has anyone ever studied the longevity of aroma?

This became particularly apparent in a Nelson-Sorachi IPA I brewed. For the first few weeks it was all Nelson with the woodiness of Sorachi only showing up on the back end. By two months after brew date, I couldn't find any Nelson in the aroma and flavor, but the Sorachi had stepped up to almost intolerable levels.

I've also noticed this fragility in commercial brews relying heavily on Nelson. The aroma aspect is highly variable depending on freshness.

I've noticed how the balance of other beers I've brewed with multiple hops changes over the time when I'm drinking them as well. Frequently Amarillo's qualities stand further and further out over time, while others recede.

-Anthony

In my experience Sorachi and Amarillo bothe have lobg lasting presence as you said. Citra also is in for the duration.

Agree with the above

I've discovered the new hop Belma actually improves with age...the fruit/tropical notes it claims shows up with some age

I find the "C" hops lose aroma fairly quickly too

Back