How low is to low for a FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
I just took a FG reading of a cream ale I have fermenting for the last 2 weeks. If I read my hydrometer right and did the temp correction correct its siting at 1.004.. The OG was 1.046. The sample tasted fine. Just wondering. On a side note, what's the max temp for cold crashing. Looking at bottling next Saturday and the temps here are not going to be above 40ish. My garage should stay mid to upper 30s. Wondering if that's good enough? Cheers!!

I had an Irish red finish at 1.002. It must have been good, it's all gone now. I don't cold crash any beer, I just leave them in the bucket long enough for most of the yeast to settle before I bottle. All you are getting with cold crashing can be done without that if you have time. Any chill haze disappears when you leave the bottles in the refrigerator long enough too.

Yeha that sounds about right especially with an OG being a but lower then anticipated.

And people recommend cold crashing as close to freezing as possible. Some cold crash, some don't. Might as well give it a try and see if u think it makes a difference. For a cream ale, anything more u can do to clear it out isn't a bad idea IMO, especially if u have the means and the time.

grem135 said:
I believe he talking about cold crashing in garage before bottling.

Correct. I'm bottling on Saturday, so I'll but the carboy out in the garage on Wednesday. Thanks for the help. This is only my 5th batch and haven't had one finish low yet...

Latest posts

Back