4 days No fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowlegged

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout for the first time this past Monday. It's now Friday and I still haven't seen any signs of fermentation. I verified this by taking a hydrometer reading today and there was no change. I do know that when I pitched the yeast it was about 6 deg warmer than the wort. I figured the yeast would b shocked but didn't think it would take this long to respond. At what point do I pitch more yeast or should I just relax and have a homebrew for a while longer?

You were within the 10 degree rule when you pitched,so that's ok. How fresh was the yeast? After getting old yeast a couple times,I now look at the date on the yeast packet. The amount of yeast you pitched is also of concern. As are temp swings from day to night. They can cause the yeast to go dormant & settle out.

Was the temperature of the sample the same when you first checked your O.G. and when you checked it the second time?

OG was 1.068. Temp of sample was 65 first time and 70 the second. I did notice a spike n temp the day after I pitched. I thought it was just the fermentation starting but then it leveled out. I pitched at 65 deg and it went all the way up to 75 then back down and has now stabilized at 70. If the yeast did go dormant from temp swings then how would I revive it?

OG was 1.068. Temp of sample was 65 first time and 70 the second. I did notice a spike n temp the day after I pitched. I thought it was just the fermentation starting but then it leveled out. I pitched at 65 deg and it went all the way up to 75 then back down and has now stabilized at 70. If the yeast did go dormant from temp swings then how would I revive it?

It could've gone up from a quick initial fermentation. Do you have that dirty gunky krausen ring above the level of the beer? If yes,then it's fermenting.
If no,then it was a temp swing that made it go dormant. Gently swirl the fermenter (no splashing) to stir some yeast back into suspension. It's taken mine 24 hours sometimes to get going again.

unionrdr said:
It could've gone up from a quick initial fermentation. Do you have that dirty gunky krausen ring above the level of the beer? If yes,then it's fermenting.
If no,then it was a temp swing that made it go dormant. Gently swirl the fermenter (no splashing) to stir some yeast back into suspension. It's taken mine 24 hours sometimes to get going again.

There was a lil bit of gunk but nothing like it normally is. Thanks, ill give it a swirl.

I can't see the yeast going to sleep at those temps. I would re-pitch fresh, same type of yeast, you probably got old or bad yeast.

I've just got to ask. Did you aerate the thing? I figure you did, but if not a lack of initial oxygen could have affected the fermentation.

Did you use a starter? Because a smack pack/vial of yeast will have a really hard time doing anything in a full batch of 1.068 wort.

Facinerous said:
I've just got to ask. Did you aerate the thing? I figure you did, but if not a lack of initial oxygen could have affected the fermentation.

I did. I used a wine whip on a drill. Maybe I didn't do it long enough though. There is some activity now in the air lock. I guess it was just a late bloomer. Might have been slow from a combination of all the factors people have mentioned. I've never had a fermentation take that long to start.

JonM said:
Did you use a starter? Because a smack pack/vial of yeast will have a really hard time doing anything in a full batch of 1.068 wort.

I used a pack and also a small starter. I had harvested the same yeast off another batch but didn't get that much. I didn't measure it but it didn't look like that much so I also threw n a pack of the same yeast.

There is some activity now in the air lock. I guess it was just a late bloomer.

Could also just be a slight leak somewhere in the lid or around the airlock and it took a little time for fermentation to become vigorous enough to overcome the leak.

bosco

I can't see the yeast going to sleep at those temps. I would re-pitch fresh, same type of yeast, you probably got old or bad yeast.

A temp swing from 65 to 75 & back down to 75F would def be enough to shock the yeast into settling out.I also metioned the old yeast,etc stuff already.

Back