Heater for fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarry

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a heated for a smaller fermentation chamber and want to see what everyone recommends. I haven't been using a heater since I live in Florida but from reading it appears without it there can be wide temp swings.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is what i use and it works great in my 4.4 fridge. Prob even bigger for the space it heats, it works great. Its about the size of a small pencil sharpener. if u click on that link theres a photo next to a keyboard or something to give u an idea of scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the basic design of you chamber? Refrigerator, freezer, custom box? Is it in an air-conditioned space? If it is, it's very unlikely that you would need a heater.
Have you been experiencing unacceptable temperature swings?
How are you positioning your probe?

It a 7.2 cu chest freezer in the garage. I'm using a controlled from Midwest and didn't think I needed a heat source since the garage is usually 70-90 all year around. As I have been reading more, have both heat and cold allows for closer temperature control. I appreciate the ideas suggested already.

It a 7.2 cu chest freezer in the garage. I'm using a controlled from Midwest and didn't think I needed a heat source since the garage is usually 70-90 all year around.....
I would agree.

....As I have been reading more, have both heat and cold allows for closer temperature control.....
Given the ambient temperature, this would only be true if the heater and compressor were allowed to constantly fight one another, which isn't a very good idea from an energy consumption standpoint.

Tight temperature control can be achieved by using a good (not necessarily expensive) digital controller along with careful probe placement and temperature differential establishment. The thermal mass of the wort/beer doesn't allow fast temperature swings to take place. IMO, monitoring the wort/beer temperature with the controller probe is the best method. Insulate the probe from the freezer air. This will limit the chance of short cycling and unacceptable temperature undershoot.

Is your controller analog or digital?

Back