hangover from full grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ro39se

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers
I have just started full grain brewing and for some reason i am getting throbbing 2 day hangovers from 1/2 a dozen beers.
Is it because I brewed while it was end of summer and i fermented in to hot of tempreture. Starting gravity was 1054 but it stopped fermenting at 1025 and
wouldn't go any further. I have another brew on the go it is a honey beer original gravity was 1060 it is now at 1028 after a week and a half in the fermenter and slowing right down not sure yet but why are my beer dipping out and not reaching closer to 1010. Why did I not get this problems when I was extract brewing?
Cheers from Australia

If the temperature was warm you could have gotten some fusel alcohols. However, your gravity didn't drop very far for what you're claiming is a hot ferment. That's not even 4% ABV. How hot are we talking? How are you measuring the final gravity?

Sounds like too hot fermentation caused fusel alcohols. This will cause nasty headaches. I did one brew when I first started that fermented too hot. It would only take one to give me a terrible headache.

Figure out a way to keep the ferment temps at the low end of the recommended range for the yeast you are using and it will fix that problem.

Dear Shooter, It was end of summer so around 30oc but at that time of year it would have fluctuated up and down. I measure with fractometer which i tested the other day for calibration. I have a big fridge now to ferment in during hot time with an external thermostat running into it. During colder times i run the thermostat probe into fermenter and attach a heat belt around fermenter. what do I do with "hangover brew" just drink less of it or dump it.
Thanks

I started all-grain brewing with a 27ltr urn and did boil in bag set up which was good but I ended up having to sparge 3/4 more out of the grains to make up 21ltrs or so. Not like when I extract can brewed I had a better yield. Now i have a 76ltr pot thinking that if I had more room I would get better circulation of water around grains and get better results as compared to boil in bag. i guesstamated and put in 25 ltrs of water to the 5kg of grain hoping that I would end up with something closer to 21ltrs and not do a sparge eliminating a process and saving me some time, washing and equipment. But as it turned out with 25ltr starting water i still had to sparge an extra 5ltrs or so to get me back up to 21ltrs and be able to get me a finished amount to fill a 19ltr keg. I tested sparge water and it was around the 1040 mark so didnt affect overall opening gravity. Also it seems that I have more gunk in bottom of fermenter than I did with extract brewing is this true? Also having this new pot with false bottom grate in it when i drain wort out of it and sparge it made it alot harder sparge and clean grains out than with boil in bag method. Can i boil in bag using this pot. If so why do I need false bottom lol. or am I better getting a 50ltr urn and do boil in bag like i did before. I do find that an urn holds tempreture better that pot. With Urn I used to set temp and walk away with pot with burner i am paranoid that it lpg will blow out or tempreture spikes.
cheers

The refractometer is useless after fermentation. For FG, use a hydrometer. This doesn't have anything to do with the headaches though.
Get a handle on your fermentation temps, and your beer will turn out much better, and you should have no problems with headaches.
Beer farts are a different subject.

ro39se said:
I measure with fractometer which i tested the other day for calibration.

I assume you mean a 'refractometer'...if so, your final gravity measurements are not accurate. Refractometers are not particularly useful once there is alcohol present - they are not designed to deal with ethanol solutions. There are some spreadsheets and online calculators that you can use to correct your readings, though I have also heard that those are not always accurate either. Your best bet is to use a hydrometer to measure final gravity.

I just checked my latest reading yes its reading 1010 I didnt even think that refractometer useless when alcohol present but makes sense when I actually thought about it cheers jlem and acid rain

JLem and acidrain got to it before I did, but I suspected there might be a refractometer involved. I use mine for FG all the time, but you do need to be aware that the number needs to be converted due to the alcohol.

google "morebeer refractometer". it should take u to an excel spreadsheet. I can't access it due to restrictions from work or else i would copy/paste it but it should pop up once u google it.

But they are correct. Ive just been using a refractometer to check that the FG is stable for three days and then just using a hydrometer when it is to get the correct FG. I'd rather use the refractometer so im using less beer for the reading when checking multiple times.

can i work out the % of alcohol is in the fusel infected beer i have brewed. i remember the og can i still pop some beer in hydrometer even a month after brew in keg and calculate %? just to give me idea of the ethanol i have created lol

Back