I drink the yeasties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBoBenton

Reaction score
Just wondering who else does?
After pouring a home brew/bottle conditioned I like to swirl the last of the yeast and swig it down, I tell my self it's for the probiotic nature of yeast but really I just enjoy the creamy dregs!
So, it's speak up time, do you?

Nope I get too farty. I don't mind the taste and it is supposed to be a great source of B Vit but it just bloats the crap out of me.

I always let some slip past during the pour and even that little makes me a methane powered musical instrument.

Check out the Unibroue web site. It's an amazing micro brewery in Quebec, Canada. They have a video on proper pouring techniques for their beers. It involves an intentional yeast inclusion for proper flavor. I could go either way, however the taste does change depending on your decision to include the dregs or not...

STB said:
Nope I get too farty. I don't mind the taste and it is supposed to be a great source of B Vit but it just bloats the crap out of me.

I get gassy too but I keg....I am just a gassy guy. Haha

I'm too lazy to use a glass most of the time so I drink everything in the bottle. If I used a glass I would leave the yeast at the bottom. I've never experienced gas like others have said they have, so cheers to that!

I drink them. Normally I pour and try to not get any of the yeast just to see how clear I got the beer. Then I pour the yeasties right in. No gas for me and that is where the vitamins are.

I'm really, really surprised how many of you drink the yeast.

Gas aside, it makes the beer taste worse as far as I'm concerned. You guys that drink it are drinking it because you love the taste so much? It tastes so good you're willing to explode your guts out in order to have some?

Bunch of sick and twisted SOBs, I'll tell ya.

Only since I've started homebrewing have I been drinking a beer every day. If I stick to one a day I'm fine, but in the past month or so I've discovered that if I drink two or three bottle conditioned beers a day for two or three days in a row (yay weekends!) I experience incredibly uncomfortable gas and bloat for a few days afterwards. As a result I've incorporated a few non-bottle conditioned commercial beers into my diet and it appears to have helped a pretty good bit. I can't imagine how terrible I would feel if I drank the dregs on a daily basis.

Ya i will drink it too but I try not to because it gives me wicked farts that would get me fired at my office... :)

I drink the yeast most of the time. I am gassy no matter what I do so never noticed a difference there (even when I haven't had a beer in over a week).
I guess it does depend and sometimes I don't, but like I said at first, most of the time I like it. If I am sitting outside and it is hot, I probably won't.

Back