First time kegging small leak on gas input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time kegging tonight, bought used corny keg. Force carbing at 20psi, I was able to achieve a tight seal on the lid (turned co2 on , lifted keg by lid, sealed) I can't hear any co2 leaking but after i sprayed star san on the gas in port i got some slight bubbling. it went away after about a minute but each time i spray it the bubbles are still there. sorry, i'm sure this is a terribly noob question, but does this mean i have a pinhole leak? or is this normal?

thanks

Dou you have any food grade lube? If not try wetting the O ring with water or starsan to help it seal and check mating surfaces for nicks, burrs etc.....

Sometimes the poppets wear out. I've replaced many of mine with the universal ones that you can buy. I usually keep a spare or 2 in my tool box just in case.

RatchetBrews said:
Sometimes the poppets wear out. I've replaced many of mine with the universal ones that you can buy. I usually keep a spare or 2 in my tool box just in case.

Yea I think I'm going to get a new poppet today, that's the only piece that I haven't replaced so hoping that works! Thanks

Is this a pin lock corny?

Also, you shouldn't need to crank on the post. Are you certain that you have an O-ring on the gas post?

Additionally, do you get the bubbling with a pressurized keg without the disconnect connected (i.e. pressurize and remove quick disconnect then spray)?

If the QD is on the poppet should be out of the equation.

I agree that since there's an o-ring under the post, you don't want to crank down on it or you'll just shred it.

It shouldn't be the poppet being he said QD was on. Maybe the Oring on the post. Is it leaking at the base of the post?

Yes it's leaking from the bottom of the post with or without the QD on, I've tried a couple different O rings now all without success

Ah. Definitely the post o-ring. Is the o-ring lubed? How's the gas dip tube look? Should look nice and clean like this:

KP326S.jpg

^^Totally like the pic he posted. That's a beauty!! (If only all of mine looked that nice :D )

Back