Skeeter Pee Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjdavis5

Reaction score
Hey all - I started a batch of SP about 2 weeks ago. I didnt make the invert sugar, just added the 7#s or so, also added in 1 quart of Raw Agave Nectar. I also added yeast nutrients and energizer. I made a starter out of champagne yeast, sugar and water, let it roll for 2 - 3 days then pitched it. I'm not seeing much activity now 2 weeks later. SG hasnt dropped at all. I've aerated several times, put a heat blanket on it, added more nutrients. Even pitched more yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 the second time). I have a bit of foam on the surface now, but not seeing any bubbles from the airlock.

Anyone have an idea? I'm about to toss this and start over.

I'd suggest you rack off a half-gallon or so, and use that to make a starter (see the skeeter pee thread), one that adds a cup of your lemon juice mixture every few hours. Pitch the new starter when it's ready and see if that will kick it off. Hate to see you toss that much raw product!!

This is an age old SP issue that many fall to. Everyone just needs to follow directions and use the lees of a prior wine. Even the lees off of just a healthy 1 gallon wine recipe is plenty to ferment SP. since you already have the must mixed up if you wait too long it may become infected. SP is so acidic it may not but I would not want to chance it. So a stepped starter is your next best step. This is a near all day event so set aside a weekend day to take care of this.

Get a nice strong yeast like lalvin 71b, 1116 or 1118. Sprinkle it on top of the following:

2 cups water
1/4 cup honey
1/8 tsp yeast nutrient

Do not mix the yeast in. Just cover with a paper towel held with a rubber band. Let that sit about 2 hours. It should look nice and active. Now add 1/4 cup of SP must & whip it up with a fork. Wait two hours. It should just as active as it was at the 2 hour mark. If not then whip up with a fork and check again in 30 minutes. If active add another 1/4 cup of must. Repeat the process till you have about 4 1/2 cups of starter. Should be 12+ hours of work. Let that ferment out over night and then pitch into your SP must. O2 is your friend at that point so whip up your must often. Within 48 hours it should take off.

Next time mix up a simple 1 gallon wine. Let that ferment dry over about one to two weeks. Throw the gallon jug/carboy in the fridge and within another one to two weeks the wine should be crystal clear and a nice layer of yeast should be at the bottom. Rack off about 4 wine bottles worth of wine and the rest plus the lees can be thrown into a new SP must. That will always work and get any SP must rolling within a day or two.

I don't do anything like the abov I mix all the lemon juice, sugar and 4 cups water together heat it up to 190 let cool add to carboy top up to 5 gallons and add yeast neved had peoblem

I don't do anything like the abov I mix all the lemon juice, sugar and 4 cups water together heat it up to 190 let cool add to carboy top up to 5 gallons and add yeast neved had peoblem

Glad that has worked for you hillybilly. But that method equally does not work for many as also seen in this thread. That is why I posted what I posted. It takes more work to do things right and to give the yeast the best inviroment for fermentation. But that extra work will always yield a much better product and less stalled ferments.

Latest posts

Back