"Russian" Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
Forgive my style ignorance but is there a difference between a Russian Imperial Stout and just an imperial stout? I'm craving a mid to high gravity (1.080-1.090) stout with a balance toward sweet without being dessert-like. Reading many recipes and some are "Russian", some aren't. Is there a difference?

Not really. If you want to be super technical, Russian Imperial Stout is a BJCP category that has the following guidelines:

OG: 1.075 – 1.115
IBUs: 50 – 90 FG: 1.018 – 1.030
SRM: 30 – 40 ABV: 8 – 12%

As well as a strong list of expected flavors/aromas/ingredients and various characteristics.

In practice, it just takes too long to say "Russian Imperial Stout" out loud, so imperial stout is easier. Also, if you feel like making a big stout but don't want to follow the guidelines, you could leave off the russian bit. Or you could keep it in, because RIS is just a name and a big stout is an imperial stout is a Russian Imperial Stout (tm).

Historically, this big stout was invented to be a gift to the Russian royal family and court. For naming, you can use them interchangeably.

I don't believe that there really is a difference. Like daksin stated, they are pretty much the same thing, but possible an imperial stout might stray from the regular RIS requirements, while still be considered a big stout.

If you enjoy imperial stouts the rasputin russian imperial stout is a great one. I plan on cloning that for next fall/winter.

Thanks guys. I'm not big on following guidelines anyway, but needed a frame of reference for the recipes I've read. ...

Back