Competition Ready Beers and Unseen Problems for Entrants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
I personally enjoy submitting my beers for competition. I always go into it thinking I'll win big. However, its usually followed by disappointment due to a competition worksheet with comments about how to improve my brew.

The fact is that after attending my clubs competitions and tasting the beers, I realized that most beers get a score around 30 out of a possible 50 if it is half way palatable.

One of the problems faced in submitting your beer is that it will sit in a warm room for one to several weeks. If there is any infection, it grows creating beers that will either gush or taste sour and nasty. I know, I tasted them.

Infections are a major problem with brewing beer, especially if you brew in a garage like myself, where winds blow wild yeast around your brew. I had so many infections, I created a closed system where the beer travels from the brewing vessel, through hoses to a heat exchanger, and to the fermenter without ever being exposed to elements within my garage. This has worked out perfectly.

The way to cure this issue is to Pasteurize your beer:
1.) Place water in your boiler kettle up to about 1/2 to 3/4 ways up your bottle. You don't want it buoyant and fall over.
2.) Bring the water to a boil
3.) Place your competition beers in the water.
4.) Place one additional bottle filled with water or beer that is the same temperature as the competition beers. This is your bottle to measure heat. If you keep the liquid the same temperature as the others, it will heat up the same temp as the others, which will avoid under or over heating the others.
5.) Place a thermometer in the bottle used to read the temperatures.
6.) Heat the bottles to 165°F and immediately remove all the bottles, and allow them to cool at room temperature. Don't put them in a freezer or fridge, extreme temp changes will crack the bottles.

The other key to submitting beers is to make sure you place your entry that is rubber banded to the bottle in a sandwich bag prior to banding it to the bottle. My club numbers the bottle and doesn't need this step. However, many competitions include the paper banded to the bottle. The problem is that text is often printed on color ink printers, which can run.

There are often problems with the judges themselves. When a competition is overwhelmed with entries, often judges with little to no experience are allowed to judge. This may be the case with clubs that have few competent judges.

Another important issue is Palate fatigue and inebriation. The tongue starts to lose its ability to define the finer points of your wonderful brew when faced with issues like large amounts of hops or other ingredients that seem to overwhelm and won't leave the palate like highly acidic adjuncts.

The final thought is that it doesn't matter how good of a brewer your are. Or, how wonderful, or rock'n, your brew came out, part of it is just good old luck. Your judge might just fall in love with your brew for whatever reason. However, I think the biggest issue is that a judge might be faced with multiple beers that are all good. What makes him choose yours over another? Sometimes its just adding an extra ingredient without taking it out of its style category.

Some have figured out that it is a numbers game and often send multiple beers. Until the most recent beer limitations at the National Homebrew Competition, many submitted as many as 60 entries!

Based on the entrants and the number of entries in the 2013 National Homebrew Competition, it roughly appears there were an average of seven entries per person. However, there was a limitation this year and I can guarantee that multiple entrants submitted their limit. I entered seven and won a 3rd place award in the first round.

How to prepare for upcoming competitions

Know your competitions:

You need to get a calendar and note when each competition will be held during the year. Are your competitions local or out of state, which require shipping.

Schedule your competitions on a calendar to correspond with brewing:

Many beers need to be fresh. Some take long periods to mature. Make sure you mark your calendar to allow the brew day, maturity, bottling and a holding period to correspond with your competition.

Admittedly, although I've won a few competition awards, I am not a big winner. However, I've thought a lot about it and have taken action on the above to make sure I can enter my beers at all the competitions that I believe will be a big benefit to me. Good luck, and if you have any additional ideas, please post them in the comments below.

For more thoughtless, maybe even stupid blogging, come visit and check out my additional blogs at: http://brewboobs.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

Cheers

Thanks for the information. A couple of questions. How frequently do you ship your beer to competitions, how far do you ship it, and do you insulate the box during the summer months? I heard Gordon Strong talk about building an insulated shipping box from the pink board you can buy from Home Depot.

Thanks for the tips. I just got back my scores from the 2 beers I entered in my first competition ever. I was feeling really good about my scores 29.5 and 33.5 until you said that's the average score :)

It was free and I was really just making sure there weren't any major deficiencies in my beers.

Thanks for the information. A couple of questions. How frequently do you ship your beer to competitions, how far do you ship it, and do you insulate the box during the summer months? I heard Gordon Strong talk about building an insulated shipping box from the pink board you can buy from Home Depot.

I look for competitions on the American homebrewing associations website. I've sent beers to multiple competitions throughout the year. However, I recently realized that it was very expensive, and therefore, recently decided to stick with the west coast competitions.

regarding the boxes that are foam insulated, I've got a great idea for you. Your local home brewing store receives yeast in foam insulated boxes. They are often thrown away in the trash. However, I believe that if you approach them they would easily give them to you. I've asked my store about saving the boxes for me, to send beer to competitions, and they agreed. However I think that you should keep in mind that even if you send your beers in an insulated box, it will still sit in the store room at room temperature of maybe 70 degrees for some time. Hopefully your beer has no infections, because that is the number one beer killer at competitions.

consider laying dry ice on the bottom of the insulated box, covered with foam followed by your beers on top of the foam. Then send them at the last day.

Cheers

Cheers

dlester I like your post idea. I think that we should look at one thing more in addition about the storage of the beer. I suggest that you turn the beer in as close to the competition's end date as possible, so that you minimize the time that it is out of your control. Realize though, that this means you already have been blessed off on submitting your entry. Don't miss your chance for your comp at all odds.

From the comps that I have assisted in judging (not a BJCP judge) I do not think that the number one thing is luck. The first thing first is making a beer that is fault free. About half of the ones that I have tasted have had an obvious fault that keeps the rest of the potentially great beer from scoring big. Keep in mind that the score of an okay beer is 25, as it is half of 50. A low 30 is a generally fault free and drinkable; however it did miss the mark of the style. If you get into the high 30s then you have a good thing going. Every judge will remember every 40 or above that they give out. No one ever scores a 50. Also, you should look at the over all score between all of the judges for your final score. Every flight should have a BJCP judge paired with the non-BJCP judges, and they help them out with the descriptors and confirming that their score accurately reflects the beers quality. When the judges end up trying to decide which one should move on to the next round or win over all out of a bunch of great ones they should choose the one that most accurately represents the style. Not just the most interesting ones. If they have a beer that has some great tasting notes, but not really in the guidelines they should end up comparing it to the style representative beers. Lastly, if you want to win a bunch of medals learn how to brew styles that no one enters, and you can turn that 35 into a Gold Medal. I have seen it happen, as just like everything else it all depends on who comes out to play. FYI, everyoneeeeeeeee enters IPAs, Pale Ales, Stouts, and Specialty Beers. Just my two cents on this one.

Thanks for the tips. I just got back my scores from the 2 beers I entered in my first competition ever. I was feeling really good about my scores 29.5 and 33.5 until you said that's the average score :)

It was free and I was really just making sure there weren't any major deficiencies in my beers.

Dude, I feel the same. My club divides the beers at 30. Your either over or under. In fact, my club has some renowned judges, and big critics. If you're over 30, your doing good.

Your competitions are supposed to give you feedback to help you develop your beers into something that is actually a winner. I don't think that you can come up with a great beer without brewing the same beer multiple times to hone down a quality recipe. You have to tweek it each time until you get the beer you were looking for. However, some get lucky, or copy/alter other beer recipes that have already won competitions. But, that's just cheating yourself out of learning your craft.

Cheers

dlester I like your post idea. I think that we should look at one thing more in addition about the storage of the beer. I suggest that you turn the beer in as close to the competition's end date as possible, so that you minimize the time that it is out of your control. Realize though, that this means you already have been blessed off on submitting your entry. Don't miss your chance for your comp at all odds.

From the comps that I have assisted in judging (not a BJCP judge) I do not think that the number one thing is luck. The first thing first is making a beer that is fault free. About half of the ones that I have tasted have had an obvious fault that keeps the rest of the potentially great beer from scoring big. Keep in mind that the score of an okay beer is 25, as it is half of 50. A low 30 is a generally fault free and drinkable; however it did miss the mark of the style. If you get into the high 30s then you have a good thing going. Every judge will remember every 40 or above that they give out. No one ever scores a 50. Also, you should look at the over all score between all of the judges for your final score. Every flight should have a BJCP judge paired with the non-BJCP judges, and they help them out with the descriptors and confirming that their score accurately reflects the beers quality. When the judges end up trying to decide which one should move on to the next round or win over all out of a bunch of great ones they should choose the one that most accurately represents the style. Not just the most interesting ones. If they have a beer that has some great tasting notes, but not really in the guidelines they should end up comparing it to the style representative beers. Lastly, if you want to win a bunch of medals learn how to brew styles that no one enters, and you can turn that 35 into a Gold Medal. I have seen it happen, as just like everything else it all depends on who comes out to play. FYI, everyoneeeeeeeee enters IPAs, Pale Ales, Stouts, and Specialty Beers. Just my two cents on this one.

JLP, you bring up good points. Which beer style are least entered at your competitions? I know what you're saying about IPA's. Holy crap, we had 50 entries! I am starting on Bocks, overall lagers and will attempt an American light beer.

This blog post has several charts providing details on entries to recent mid size completion my club held.

http://tmblr.co/Z56VKylRqb8o

You will notice many categories with few entries. However, my club combined categories with few entries to make larger flights. Most flights had 8-10 beers so to get a medal on average you needed to be in the top 3 of a group of 8-10.

We had at least 1 BJCP judge for every judge pairing. That was a major achievement for our small club to pull off.

alestateyall's posted link is pretty much on par with what I can attest too as well. We have combined the English Scottish and Irish Ale categories, and the Belgian and French Ale categories here too.

Mostly good advice here, but this drew my eye:

One of the problems faced in submitting your beer is that it will sit in a warm room for one to several weeks. If there is any infection, it grows creating beers that will either gush or taste sour and nasty. I know, I tasted them.

No offense, but it's bush league to run a comp without planning proper cold storage for entries. There's literally no excuse for that. The good news is that you won't face this issue when you enter NHC, but now you have me wondering about some of those smaller comps.

JLP, you bring up good points. Which beer style are least entered at your competitions? I know what you're saying about IPA's. Holy crap, we had 50 entries! I am starting on Bocks, overall lagers and will attempt an American light beer.
Well I brew beers that I like to drink, not win competitions. So if I like popular beers and that means I have less of a chance of winning, then so be it. I'm not going to brew a beer that I don't want to drink.

Well I brew beers that I like to drink, not win competitions. So if I like popular beers and that means I have less of a chance of winning, then so be it. I'm not going to brew a beer that I don't want to drink.

I think, generally, a person can do both. I agree - I would never brew a bunch of beers I dislike simply to win a medal..... pretty pointless in my mind. However, there are a lot of great styles out there and many are under-brewed and under-appreciated. If you have some of these brews that you enjoy, and you also enjoy entering comps..... good choice to make sure you put them in your rotation - light lagers, dark lagers, hybrids like alts, some of the english beers and others...... Don't get me wrong, I am not going to start brewing meads (which I absolutely hate) because there are so few entries... For me, I happen to really love well-made german lagers like helles, pilsner, dortmunder, oktoberfest, etc. Definitely beers I try to brew regularly because A.) I like them and B.) I tend to do pretty well in comps with them - so I like to have them on hand for entering when opportunity presents. Same with English Brown's and Mild.

But, I am not going to stop entering my american ales either, just because there are so many entries. I enjoy the feedback and what I have learned which allows me to improve my beer - so, my browns and ambers and pale ales that I love, are worth entering regardless of "the odds."

One thing I would add is that I have found benefit in entering the same beer 3-5 times in different comps. around the same time period or within a few weeks. I think this eliminates some of the "luck" (good or bad) that may show up. If you send a beer in to one comp and it is mishandled...... your feedback sort of becomes useless. Likewise, if you send it in to one comp. and you screwed something up (sanitation, filling, etc.) your feedback is potentially useless as well. When I think I have a beer pretty close to where I want it, I send it out to about 4-5 big comps and then I get a broad sample of feedback - often with several Master and Grand Master judges weighing in.

I have a couple beers in particular that I worked on for the past couple years - taking advice and tips from various comps. It was pretty satisfying to send them out early this year and average 40 on my Pilsner across 4-5 large competitions, Same with a Dortmunder and english Mild. I really felt like I could say that those 2-3 beers were outstanding and I had something going with them - plus, I love drinking them as well - and even moreso as they have improved with the feedback I have gotten.

Sending to multiple competitions to get a consensus sounds like a good practice. I am going to try and enter more competitions for the feedback and may try this approach if it is practical.

This blog post has several charts providing details on entries to recent mid size completion my club held.

http://tmblr.co/Z56VKylRqb8o

You will notice many categories with few entries. However, my club combined categories with few entries to make larger flights. Most flights had 8-10 beers so to get a medal on average you needed to be in the top 3 of a group of 8-10.

We had at least 1 BJCP judge for every judge pairing. That was a major achievement for our small club to pull off.

Wow, great work on that statistics. Seriously, I think everyone should do this type of analysis.

Thank you for sharing

DL

Mostly good advice here, but this drew my eye:

No offense, but it's bush league to run a comp without planning proper cold storage for entries. There's literally no excuse for that. The good news is that you won't face this issue when you enter NHC, but now you have me wondering about some of those smaller comps.

I totally agree with you. Regarding NHC; do you know as a fact that every judging location has cold storage? Because if they do, that's great planning.

I think, generally, a person can do both. I agree - I would never brew a bunch of beers I dislike simply to win a medal..... pretty pointless in my mind. However, there are a lot of great styles out there and many are under-brewed and under-appreciated. If you have some of these brews that you enjoy, and you also enjoy entering comps..... good choice to make sure you put them in your rotation - light lagers, dark lagers, hybrids like alts, some of the english beers and others...... Don't get me wrong, I am not going to start brewing meads (which I absolutely hate) because there are so few entries... For me, I happen to really love well-made german lagers like helles, pilsner, dortmunder, oktoberfest, etc. Definitely beers I try to brew regularly because A.) I like them and B.) I tend to do pretty well in comps with them - so I like to have them on hand for entering when opportunity presents. Same with English Brown's and Mild.

But, I am not going to stop entering my american ales either, just because there are so many entries. I enjoy the feedback and what I have learned which allows me to improve my beer - so, my browns and ambers and pale ales that I love, are worth entering regardless of "the odds."

One thing I would add is that I have found benefit in entering the same beer 3-5 times in different comps. around the same time period or within a few weeks. I think this eliminates some of the "luck" (good or bad) that may show up. If you send a beer in to one comp and it is mishandled...... your feedback sort of becomes useless. Likewise, if you send it in to one comp. and you screwed something up (sanitation, filling, etc.) your feedback is potentially useless as well. When I think I have a beer pretty close to where I want it, I send it out to about 4-5 big comps and then I get a broad sample of feedback - often with several Master and Grand Master judges weighing in.

I have a couple beers in particular that I worked on for the past couple years - taking advice and tips from various comps. It was pretty satisfying to send them out early this year and average 40 on my Pilsner across 4-5 large competitions, Same with a Dortmunder and english Mild. I really felt like I could say that those 2-3 beers were outstanding and I had something going with them - plus, I love drinking them as well - and even moreso as they have improved with the feedback I have gotten.

Thank you for the additional idea. I agree that several entries will help determine the overall consensus.

I too love the German beers and prefer that style. I also agree that posting a beer to a style that isn't well attended just for a metal is inconsistent with the attempt to craft a great, and appreciated, beer. However, I can appreciate the suggestion.

Keep brew'n

Understood. And I completely agree... No reason to brew a beer you don't want to drink.

That said, one of the things I do is brew the beers *I* want to drink. In a lot of cases, those are beers that are harder to find great commercial examples than, say, IPA. I brew a milk stout, a Gose, things like a rauchbier, a rye pale ale, and various "out of style" things all over the place. I of course like to keep one or two of my taps full of something hoppy. But I can always buy great IPAs left and right, so I don't focus 100% of my brewing on styles that are already amazingly represented by the market.

Of course, that's just my strategy... If you're happy as hell brewing popular styles, more power to you and I'm sure I'd like to drink some of your beer :)

I totally agree with you. Regarding NHC; do you know as a fact that every judging location has cold storage? Because if they do, that's great planning.

As far as I know, yes. NHC judging is usually done at a local brewery, who stores the beer until the judging. 1500 bottles is a lot, but most comps don't go over a hundred entries, and those numbers aren't bad to deal with. My club ran a AHA Club Only Comp, and you can bet we treated those 100+ entries right!

Latest posts

Back