Wine with a beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak104

Reaction score
My first batch of coopers kit beer is carbonating.After I bought the coopers kit, midwest had a deal that gave you a free beer making kit with the purchase of a $125 gift card, so I got it.Is there any reason I can't use the buckets for wine? Can I go back and forth with them? I wouldn't think a cleaned plastic bucket could harbor enough particles of either to stop me.Thanks

Sure, you can use the same equipment for beer and wine. With a wine, you also have to have a properly sized carboy. The buckets are fine for primary, but when the wine is racked it has to go into a carboy. If you're making wine kits, then a 6 gallon carboy is required. Otherwise, all the other equipment is the same. Normally, for most beers, you don't need the carboy at all. That's about the only difference.

Thanks Yooper.I don't know if I should trust someone who only has 52,000 posts.:mug:

Thanks on this! I was thinking the same thing recently. How about bottling in beer bottles with crown caps? Is there an issue if they are consumed in a set time frame?

Thanks on this! I was thinking the same thing recently. How about bottling in beer bottles with crown caps? Is there an issue if they are consumed in a set time frame?

No, that's fine. I even bottle some early drinking wines in grolsch bottles with the flip caps as they hold two glasses of wine so it's a nice size.

Back