Recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning on a double brew day Saturday and wanted a little bit of help since I've never brewed either of the styles I'll be doing.

I'm going to be doing a SMaSH IPA and a Barleywine.

My efficiency has been in the toilet, and this is only my 3rd AG brew, so I'm using more grain than most people will need to. Since I don't need my LME anymore, I'm just going to throw it all in and make a barleywine. In any case, what I'm doing is brewing my IPA, then running the water that I'm going to use for the Barleywine through the grain to pick up any extra sugars that I don't get out of the grain for the IPA. Might as well use em if they're there. Recipe is as follows:

SMaSH IPA (6 gallons, 7g boil)

15# American 2-row
4 oz Bravo Hops pellets (1@60, 1@45, 1@30, 1@15)
Whirlfloc @ 15

Barleywine (4.5g, 5.5g boil)
Runnings through IPA grain
8# Light LME
6# Amber LME
1# Corn sugar
.5# Dark brown sugar
1 oz Mt Hood @ 60

Using US-05 on both, on the barleywine using 1 packet after the boil and one 2 days after pitching the first packet.

Thanks in advance HBT!

my 2 cents:
- I'd say you've got too many bittering hops for the IPA and not enough late additions. Have you plugged these into software to get the specs? The Bravo should be pretty high AA, if you are limited to 4 oz I would do something like 1 oz at 60, 15, 0 and dry hop.

- I don't care for barleywines in general so I've never brewed one but that one oz of Mt Hood doesn't seem like enough bittering to me. Again, I don't know the AA of your hops but I assume it's pretty low.

- So it's not really a partigyle brew you're planning, where take the first runnings for one beer and the second runnings for your smaller beer. It sounds like you plan to do a full sparge for the IPA then continue to sparge and keep those runnings for the barleywine. I'd be careful about oversparging and extracting tannins. Not sure the amount of sugar you get would be worth it anyway.

Thanks chickypad - I have adjusted my hops addition on both recipes now. I was going to do my spare with water only slightly hotter than my mash temp since I was planning on running mash out temp water for the barleywine. Essentially this would be like some people who do multiple sparges and should avoid tannin extraction, yes? If it's still a bad idea I will forego having my water for the barleywine run through the grains, it's not worth ruining a batch of big beer over.

You just want to make sure you're not getting down below a gravity of 1.010 or a pH getting close to or over 6.
:mug:

Back