filling a 15 gallon sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimstad13

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to transfer from my ball lock corny straight to the 15 gallon sanke. Keeping the ball lock conversions for the sanke coupler in mind, Is it possible to fill the sanke from my corny keg without exposing the beer to air? Everything I've seen on-line uses a racking cane, basically just a manual transfer. The question is "How can I push my beer from my corny keg with C02 into my 15 gal. sanke???"https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Unless there is a way to release the pressure caused by forcing the beer into the sanke then i'm going to say no.

Very simple actually, you need to remove the "beer out" check valve in the sanke coupler, it is a little ball type thingy under the cap nut on the top of the sanke coupler.

When I need to backfill a sanke I just simply connect two picnic taps with a short length of 3/8 tubing force fit on the taps, with pressure in the full keg, and little to no pressure in the recieving keg the beer will flow from one to the other.

If the beer is not carbed, it is easier and faster IMO to just remove the sanke spear and rack to the keg, install spear, purge w/ co2 and carbonate.

I have swivel nut adapters on everything including my commercial couplers and hoses. I also removed all the check valves/balls.

I have 4 pin locks, 4 ball locks, 4 1/2 barrel, 3 1/6, and a 1/4 barrel keg. I can swap liquid from anyone to anyone in minutes.

Just keep a blow off tube in a bucket in case of over filling.
I also have a 20lb co2 cylinder just for transferring.

pb

thanks for the info, I'm just now upgrading from buckets to corny kegs and figured a couple 1\2 barrels would be a great way to condition keeping my soda kegs free. appreciate all the help.

Back