FW Pale 31 Extract kit - Specialty Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just getting into home brewing.... so I'm pretty new at this stuff. Pale 31 is one of my favorite brews so I ordered the 5 gallon clone kit from Austin Homebrew and will brew it this week. I'm a bit puzzled with the instructions though because in addition to 7 lb. Extra Pale Extract the kit includes .5 lb Munich, .5 lb Crystal and .5 lb Maris Otter crushed grains (all packaged together in mesh bag) with the following instructions - " bring 2 gallons water to 155F, soak grains for 25 min, lift bag out of water, drain without squeezing, discard grains, add 1 gal water, and return to heat until boiling, and add the LME. The instructions are for a partial boil however I'm planning on a full boil with late extract addition of half the LME.

My question relates to the Munich and MO. I thought these are base malts that require mashing. Can someone explain what is accomplished with this recipe? Is it steeping or mashing? Any suggestions and enlightenment greatly appreciated!

Back