Bottling with Gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toledoBrewer

Reaction score
So, I've read these forums for quite some time now; however, this is my first post. I've recently moved from extract to all grain brewing, I've done six all grain batches. Today I got a hefeweizen going in the primary. I normally pull some wort off before pitching the yeast to prime when going into the bottles.

This is also the first time that I have used a copper immersion chiller and cooled the wort to 65 degrees. When I was pouring the wort from the kettle to the fermenter it seemed as if only the hops were strained and not much break material.

Now that the gyle is in the refrigerator, it seems like a quarter of the amount in the growler is sediment. I don't yet have the equipment to force carbonate with CO2. Should I just dump the gyle and prime with sugar? Or will what is in the growler be enough to prime.

*** The equation called for 4.5 cups of wort, there looks to be 3 cups if I poured carefully to remove the sediment ***

Thanks for the advice :mug:

Back