Dunkelweizen mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
Stupid mistake - I got in a hurry and pitched too hot (didn't read the thermometer properly), and I got a HUGE blowout over the first 24-36 hours - way more than normal. It literally pushed the airlock out of the carboy twice. Yeast was Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068, which has done well for me with this recipe in the past. I'm assuming that this totally screwed up the yeast.....but how bad is it likely to be?

Here's my question: what is the likelihood that this will clear itself up in secondary? Do I just give up, dump it and start over, or is it worth going ahead and kegging it to see if it can come back to life and be reasonably drinkable?

Launching an airlock is no biggie, happens all the time around here. I've seen pics of them stuck in the ceiling :D
Should have no bearing on clearing - that's up to you and the yeast.

What was the wort temperature when you pitched the yeast? And, more importantly, what was the wort temperature 24 hours later?
That yeast has a recommended high end of 75°F - which is likely a volatile range for it, and perhaps estery, but if you stayed under that the beer will likely be enjoyable.

Finally, unless you have some specific reason to, avoid using a "secondary" vessel, as in most cases it's use only causes damage to beer...

Cheers!

Well, you obviously didn’t kill the yeast. I would chill it down in a swamp cooler and hope to not have fusels You don’t need secondary just do your best to manage the temp For the next couple days and leave it in primary a couple weeks to finish and clean up.

Launching an airlock is no biggie, happens all the time around here. I've seen pics of them stuck in the ceiling :D
Should have no bearing on clearing - that's up to you and the yeast.

Yeah, it's happened to me before, just never with this recipe.

What was the wort temperature when you pitched the yeast? And, more importantly, what was the wort temperature 24 hours later?
That yeast has a recommended high end of 75°F - which is likely a volatile range for it, and perhaps estery, but if you stayed under that the beer will likely be enjoyable.

It was off the end of the thermometer (so somewhere above 80) when I pitched, but down well into the 60s the next morning.

Finally, unless you have some specific reason to, avoid using a "secondary" vessel, as in most cases it's use only causes damage to beer...

I called it "secondary", but I'm really talking about kegging with some added sugar to condition.

Some esters are expected - it's a dunkelweizen, after all - but only the fruity ones.....

Well, you obviously didn’t kill the yeast. I would chill it down in a swamp cooler and hope to not have fusels You don’t need secondary just do your best to manage the temp For the next couple days and leave it in primary a couple weeks to finish and clean up.
Thanks - let's hope that does it. I'll give it a few extra days, maybe a week.

I think you’ll be alright. Hefe yeast throws all sorts of esters around and is pretty tolerant to high temps. I fermented mine at 72ish, probably pitched around 76. Tastes great.

Side note, I’ve definitely pitched ale yeasts well in the 80s in far less forgiving beers and gotten away with it. Not the best procedure, but it was before I had a handle on temperature controls.

[...]It was off the end of the thermometer (so somewhere above 80) when I pitched, but down well into the 60s the next morning.[...]I called it "secondary", but I'm really talking about kegging with some added sugar to condition.[...]

With that added I think the beer will indeed be fine...

Cheers!

Back