Another fruit thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blisster

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a question about adding fruit in the secondary.

We have a few fruit trees in our yard (apple, apricot and fig) and every year my wife cans a lot of the apricots, using a standard pressure canning technique that includes adding honey into the jar to help preserve the fuit.

I am planning on adding a few jars of last years apricots to a simple wheat beer by racking to a secondary. My questions are
A) How much fruit is enough vs too much? I'm not looking for a super fruity 'Apricot Ale', just a little bit of fruit essence.
B) is it okay for me to just dump the entire contents of the jar into the secondary - fruit, honey and all? Or should I remove the fruit and puree it first?

This is my first time doing a fruit addition so thanks in advance for any advice!
:ban:

Blisster said:
Hey all, I've got a question about adding fruit in the secondary.

We have a few fruit trees in our yard (apple, apricot and fig) and every year my wife cans a lot of the apricots, using a standard pressure canning technique that includes adding honey into the jar to help preserve the fuit.

I am planning on adding a few jars of last years apricots to a simple wheat beer by racking to a secondary. My questions are
A) How much fruit is enough vs too much? I'm not looking for a super fruity 'Apricot Ale', just a little bit of fruit essence.
B) is it okay for me to just dump the entire contents of the jar into the secondary - fruit, honey and all? Or should I remove the fruit and puree it first?

This is my first time doing a fruit addition so thanks in advance for any advice!
:ban:

I haven't used apricots before so I don't know how far they go. I like to keep my fruit subtle so that the grains still come through so for raspberries,I like to use 1 quart per 5 gal and it keeps the fruit balanced with the bready wheat flavor. I did 2 quarts once and felt it was too overshadowing. Apricots seem more subtle than raspberries so if you want an "essense" then 1 quart might do you right. You can always sample your secondary each day and rack it off if you think it gets too strong.

I would dump everything in as is so you aren't fumbling around and possibly introducing contamination. The honey apricot combo sounds really good actually. Mmmmm

thanks for the input! I'll be transferring it this weekend and likely cold crashing/kegging next. I'll bump the thread in a few weeks when it has conditioned some with a report.

Back