"Dryness" after taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsTheBrent

Reaction score
I may have jumped the gun here, but I have had a Robust Porter (Brewer's Best) conditioning in bottles for exactly one week. Being the impatient guy I am, I chilled one down just to get a taste. Overall, its great. This is my first actual brew, aside from mr.beer, and tastes how I'd hoped. I do notice that it feels like it drys my mouth out after the beer has gone down, but I don't notice any astringent tastes. So my question is: Am I just being a noob? Or did I possible steep too hot?

Without knowing what temperature you steeped at, it is impossible to say.
What I can say, (and which you already know) is that one week in the bottle is nothing like long enough. If you're like I was when I started brewing, it took me over a year to realize that the last beer was always the best one of the batch. That's when I limited myself to 1 beer per week from each batch until it tasted really good. It took another year to realize that many beers taste even better if they are left to condition for several months, especially with stouts and porters.

-a.

I believe I aimed for the 155-165 range steep-wise. And I know that one week is not at all long enough, I just let excitement get the better of me. lol

Back