Dry Yeast for NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
Planning my next NEIPA. I like my NEIPAs very juicy/tropical. For yeast, I normally use Wyeast 1318 or Imperial Juice but due to summer weather I plan to try a dry yeast. I have not brewed with either of these but after some research the two at the top of my list are Lallemand Lalbrew Verdant IPA and Lallemand Lalbrew Voss Kveik.

Any thoughts from those of you who have used these?

Also, thoughts on maybe combining them (1 of each)?

Thanks, Mike

update - disregard thoughts on combining. The recommended fermentation temps for these two are totally different so combining them probably would not work too well. Still interested in your thoughts on which one to use...

I used Lellemond Voss in my last 2 NEIPAS. I fermented under pressure starting at 0 and free rising to 20psi at 85f where I was going for grapefruit juice and a second at 95f where I was going for orange grapefruit juice. Even under pressure I would say I got some orange at the higher temp. I don't think you will get much tropical. I didn't get any fusel flavors with 6.1% and 7.5% beers. That 7.5% drinks like breakfast juice, but at 7.5% I call it breakfast juice for dinner.

If you use it as part of your citrus balance to the tropical hops then I think you will like it.

I like Kviek because I can add early bio hops at 12-18hrs and post fermentation hops at 2.5-3days and be kegged at day 5-6 with no hop burn from an extended stay by the hops. I'm around 6-7oz of dry hops for 5gallon batch.

Each of these have pretty long threads on the forum with tons of first hand experience.

Given the very different fermentation temps, I'd go with whichever one best fits your setup.

FYI, Verdant is a derivative of 1318.

I fermented under pressure starting at 0 and free rising to 20psi at 85f where I was going for grapefruit juice and a second at 95f where I was going for orange grapefruit juice.
I do not have the equipment for pressure fermentations and I have never used a yeast that has such high fermentation temps. I am used to dropping the wort temp down to 70 before pitching so I guess pitching at 95 would make that part of the process quicker.

Well I kegged one fermented with Verdant IPA by Lallemand just about 5 days ago. Jury's still out on the finished beer, but the gravity sample tasted decent. Didn't finish super dry, 1.060 down to 1.018.

I've made several NEIPA with s-04, Verdant, Lallemand East Coast (Conan) and US-05. I like s-04 and conan the best, but s-04 costs half as much and I think has more cells for some reason, so its my favorite dry.

I recently brewed using Lallemand (LaBrew) New England. I pitched and fermented between 65 - 70.

the citrus was dominant (could have also been my hop choice) with lots of grapefruit and a hint orange. The orange did fade. No off flavors and was very happy with it.

I recently brewed using Lallemand (LaBrew) New England. I pitched and fermented between 65 - 70.

the citrus was dominant (could have also been my hop choice) with lots of grapefruit and a hint orange. The orange did fade. No off flavors and was very happy with it.
A friend of mine used this for his last NEIPA. He didn't care for it. It seemed to lack body and character for him. I only had one pour of it so can't really comment. He prefers 1318 so maybe Verdant will prove to be a good dry substitute.

Lallemand Lalbrew Verdant IPA and Lallemand Lalbrew Voss Kveik

I have not used either of these specifically (though I have packs of them in the fridge) but based on my experiences with Omega Voss and Wyeast 1318, these both should make wonderful hazies. Verdant would likely get you more of a "classic" NEIPA with Voss pushing more tropical/citrus notes. These seem like great places to start.

I only brewed one hazy with S-04. I did not care much for that batch, but it might have been more an issue with the recipe and my process (it was one of my first few attempts at that style).

S-33 is one I have heard mentioned for NEIPAs. I picked up a pack recently but decided to throw it at an American Pale Ale. It leaves extra body/sweetness and some fruity/apricot notes that I could see being a good fit. I am not sure how it plays with biotransformation or stable haze. The low attenuation might be an issue for a high gravity beer. S-33 seems to be the same yeast as Lallemand London ESB Yeast and Mangrove Jack M15 Empire Ale.

I have some 1 gal hop samplers bottle conditioning now that were made with Lallemand New England. Note that the cell count of that pack is about half of many dried yeasts, but the underlying Conan strain has a good reputation (though I have heard people say it is an inconsistent fermenter).

We recently kegged an NEIPA and used Lallemond Verdant IPA it went 1072 down to 1013 and came out a bit dryer than we expected. We had a few problems with the mash along the way too. It drinks nicely, though a bit dry.

Note that the cell count of that pack is about half of many dried yeasts

I had noticed the advertised cell count on the 11 g Lalbrew Voss Kveik was only 60 billion but Lallemand has a yeast calculator on their site specific for their yeasts. Selecting the Voss Kveik in a 5.5 gal 1.068 OG brew, their calculator recommended 17.7 grams which is less that two packets. That count seems light to me but I guess they should know their yeast.

I had noticed the advertised cell count on the 11 g Lalbrew Voss Kveik was only 60 billion but Lallemand has a yeast calculator on their site specific for their yeasts. Selecting the Voss Kveik in a 5.5 gal 1.068 OG brew, their calculator recommended 17.7 grams which is less that two packets. That count seems light to me but I guess they should know their yeast.
For Voss? That's crazy when people are saying you can pitch a teaspoon or 2 (liquid yeast) per 5 gallon batch when fermented warm. For dry yeast I wouldn't think you'd need more than a 1/4 or 1/2 pack per 5 gallon batch by that logic.

Update - I decided to go with the Voss Kveik. Man what a crazy yeast that is. Sprinkled it in dry and fermented at 98 degrees. It was bubbling within 2 hours and went from 1.072 to terminal gravity in 27 hours. I've got some cold crashing and dry hopping left to do but I'll update again once I have tasted the final product.

i also just used verdant. it fermented down more than the S33 or S04 I used in the other batches of the same wort. I liked the S04 and the Verdant best. Verdant tasted more dry and more neutral than the S04. S04 had a slight tart flavor and some apple esters. If you add a ton of dry hops the yeast is not of utmost importance IMHO. I've used S05 even and made a fantastic NEIPA.

We recently kegged an NEIPA and used Lallemond Verdant IPA it went 1072 down to 1013 and came out a bit dryer than we expected. We had a few problems with the mash along the way too. It drinks nicely, though a bit dry.

Any updates?
Update - I highly recommend the Voss Kveik. The NEIPA I used it in turned out awesome. This was also my first time using cryo hops and I recommedn that as well. Used half as much hops as I normally would and got all the hoppiness I wanted with very little trub to deal with at the end. I found a winning combination. Still can't get over fermenting at 98 degrees but it sure did the trick.

Update - I highly recommend the Voss Kveik. The NEIPA I used it in turned out awesome. This was also my first time using cryo hops and I recommedn that as well. Used half as much hops as I normally would and got all the hoppiness I wanted with very little trub to deal with at the end. I found a winning combination. Still can't get over fermenting at 98 degrees but it sure did the trick.
If you liked Voss in your NEIPA try Hornindal Kveik next. It will really juice up that NEIPA with same fast turn around when fermented hot.

Not in a NEIPA, but I have an imperial stout in the fermenter right now that used Nottingham. It'll be a couple months before it is ready though

Back