Dry Irish Stout water adjustment with MME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
putting together a recipe to get a Dry Irish Stout into the kegerator within the next two weeks

I've read some confusing recommendations and I'm looking for feedback
-should I leave the roasted barley out of the mash initially, then toss it on top of the grain bed just before hoisting the BIAB? I've never done this before, but I read it gives a darker color without affecting mash pH as much?
-I used the Dark,Balanced profile in MME. Is this appropriate for a dry, roasty flavor with 40 IBUs of bitterness? I plan to ferment with Nottingham yeast. 1:1 Sulfate:Chloride ratio?
-I've never used Epson salts or Baking Soda in my mash water, but this is close the to Dark,Balanced profile as I can get with my base water. It seems counter-productive to add 2.3 mL lactic acid plus 2g baking soda, which have opposite effects on pH. My base water has only 17 ppm sodium, and I read 30-60 ppm sodium can be desirable. Should I drop the baking soda and use table salt to get sodium and chloride levels?

image.png

Last edited:
FWIW....1) I'm mashing all grains together, and 2) I'm using my RO water and adjusting to a Dublin water profile that's in Brewfather. BTW, you might want to update the MME to version 8.47.

Guinness Clone.PNG

thanks for letting me know about the new release. I plugged my #'s into v_8.47 and got fairly similar results. Slightly more acid required to acidulate the mash, and slightly higher IBU estimate.

image (1).png

Wow, that Grainfather Dublin profile is aggressive on the Calcium and light on the Chloride!
Can anyone comment on how the differences in these two profiles would manifest in the final flavor of a dry Irish stout?

image (2).png

Last edited:
thanks for letting me know about the new release. I plugged my #'s into v_8.47 and got fairly similar results. Slightly more acid required to acidulate the mash, and slightly higher IBU estimate.

nH0IcCq9JCjH98edq7hxD5E_qvtHDHAu-dZk3xoCOhuLeBUBW_HDm0Jy-Q0ngkZqHItH0qdBMSd3oPkX46OSFx79wQ3qzVRwvOItY5Prw-c-nzB7Gut0AN8wA5Y3GrQLGkuwYwx9mluglddMkRcJryJi55XHSdavoX9BkKbRwa-NFMUL-khMfrwXJTtgNeXL1ZOlciTpKfbGQQcFW8Aen31pil3RkettJ7jqiFDxkcFu03gfXV3uzx-GVY0mGnnqns-xxjV7-HgTZnzyIHGF9BYY1AykocX9fxSz47ZFRvIJPHwlLQfPgIQsALN_eAqn9Wx4uerj63XZagnOfLhqTMD_D8Lp7BrUdg8oSWl8K7qh_yTt-tZzoWbF7itvUCDkeIUlf_NebMwuwAedg-eae4SRuWTCjnvKZBfRuXRleXzwhOjWZZdF8kS6OBHy05cPkhROHyVdHRH7Y9T_nzxuP4y1P1XWEY1j5dPE9EMHO-fdwgMDt09k3goNvel1lX50d52_10ZknCN1QDr5Yo5F_xicU4NUsRD6dOGCZlnQgF_ZD57MUVPX-eermey9Rg20MYI_FTTAy21r-WDC4_4GS1gD4WiCUdnRZpr5o8ekmhP3S6JSziUoeVu8F2BjK35Sd_BSokzEqHqKZ6BZpK51Wi0RygrX_-9P-hfx7U6PkUZOlKhCxU8LhZSi=w1317-h516-no

Wow, that Grainfather Dublin profile is aggressive on the Calcium and light on the Chloride!
Can anyone comment on how the differences in these two profiles would manifest in the final flavor of a dry Irish stout?

GNGR3MZcKCEW7B2qLGAHCHqzZhglDtMcIpnuREGwqs9x_7_8UAJizyk3drBxNJVxdcudoxyWvx7iuseeGjOT_Ypx9KTSBynRRHfcycjxn_acmp6Zg9UZrdYL0435PQDmtStDpmdyLmD4Zj9eqCc2Lz4KKNxEqWPuI1tOpSjnLSk_uNweEL1zFENf2wIZQAANGwggLDGIz04mHM8ziu8c-gvBG_IXT41r8a1c5fL6DKmghWo00zqe7QejZOJ5HKSfkrJrt8Bej8YKSgDnGeSKYt_2xlZDaUA-oGJeV7hXVC4iPwLbPCil4dcKagYcLImW_2qsaFvMsrlku6d5b5goqA-CYQaPFVI9-0olmedX6knyML4iSTJDkAsQeAoB0pYLjXWSJDfv_j-JciwBfPa-I7xu7FzhezUMFZ_nO7lbD9AVe3ahqMOSEZoAT5Z_y7LtdpXUfaooeX5KqTqvl2xh9VEWB9uc2T4LoAB5SnzrUvk-Hb2JjuMEG0nKCvJU7anfpD6zQ1GGO0pFaHdjZFEE4UO8lSZ9N72LOSZm_i6MsXIiUcKgD9Ps7BE5Lxd424yP_2-yVzXC2G8SSbBJtphFLIX6e_zOEASK1t_0kcwOuSrntEVTfOVeDdBLm28ci6_eAhPMZGsYJT1Brj4kUFcILTfpHP_OUCo0A4OZKfob3Z78nDwANb7H8g1w=w352-h69-no

For whatever reason, once I replied to your first post, it appears you made some type of change with your uploaded picture as I cannot see the original post nor the two in this post. BTW, I am using Wyeast 1084 and I'm using EKG giving 45 IBUs.

Below is the Dublin target profile I'm adjusting to....

Dublin Dry Stout.PNG

If I let Brewfather auto calculate to the water profile, I get a dry/bitter profile instead of a balanced profile...

Dublin Water Profile 2.PNG

Guinness Clone MME 3.PNG

looks like the link to Google Photos broke; hopefully I fixed it by downloading images then uploading them as files to attach to the post. Can you see the images now?

Latest posts

Back