Keging from blichman conical to ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofy810

Reaction score
Has anyone transferred from the blickman conical directly to a keg ie closed? While I know this is done I'm not sure how as its a 1/2 barb on the beer out from the conical and 1/4 barb on the beer out ball lock connector I know I can just put the hose through the access hatch on the keg and fill it that way but I wanted to closed system fill to make sure I get no contact with air any help is great.

Thanks

I pump CO2 into the keg first, and then gently put the hose in. That ensures there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the beer.

replace the 1/2" barb on the conical with a camlock

builld a hose with a
female camlock
1/2 npt 3/8" barb
hose
3/8" barb mfl swivel
mfl liquid conector

thats about as much flow as your going to get through the poppet. You still need to purge it with co2 and vent as you fill, either with the relief valve or a purge line on the gas in post.

it will be much slower than filling a co2 purged keg through the lid.
If you really want to fill like this, go with 1/6 barrel sanke's they are designed to be filled closed loop.

I pump CO2 into the keg first, and then gently put the hose in. That ensures there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the beer.

This is how I do it as well. The first time I used my blichmann I tried filling a closed keg through the liquid out poppet and gently pushing CO2 into the conical to expedite the transfer/protect from oxygen, and it did work okay, but ultimately decided it was more trouble than it was worth. Just fill/purge the keg with CO2, and gently gravity fill with a regular hose through the lid. Purge again when finished.

Someone mentioned this in another post. I haven't tried it yet but you can unscrew the MFL connector on a ball lock beer out and screw or push 1/2 hose directly onto the threads of it to flow into the beer out.

Back