fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakerj

Reaction score
What's typical time for active fermentation with mead. I did one 8 days ago and it now starting to slow a bit. Yeast may be starting to settle. I just wanted to try this and just whipped it together for grins.
10# honey
1/2# natural raspberry spread (because it said it had pectin and sugars looked good)
25 raisins
1 lb mixed
1/2 Massachusetts pure maple syrup (just because)
I added starter and yeast nutrient then did 3 more additions with the.nutrient. aerated well
3 gal water and I did not take an OG.
OH YEAH yeast was two packets of ec-1118, I know it is mostly for stuck ferment but never done this so. I figure give it a try and they didn't have d47.

I would anticipate this batch of mead should be dry within fifteen days to a month. But, considering that jam usually has pectin added--why were you looking for pectin? You need to add pectinase to break the pectin bonds.

I don't know about the pectin. I just read somewhere it is good so, when I saw the ingredients figured why not this one. No real reason other than that.
What do you mean by dry? Completely fermented? I've only done beer. To me it means that I went below my anticipated FG.

It will make a pectin haze which may never clear without help from pectic enzyme (which breaks it down). It should however help with color retention and some fruit flavors

Neat, if I add enzyme a month into primary, will the haze go away? I would like this to be crystal clear.

It will be more than a month to clear regularly. Pectic enzyme takes about a month to fully work if not used before fermentation begins. But using the enzyme will make it like the pectin was never there, it won't however make the other factors clear faster.

I get it. So, I can still add it the.enzyme and it will work in 18% abv? I am planning on letting this sit another 6 month at least. I was gonna rack to secondary off my fruit after 5-6 weeks. I can tell though it needs alot of time. I can also tell that making mead is not making beer.

The sooner you get the enzyme on board, the better. It helps extract things from your fruit also.

Dry means the fermentable sugars have been used up, ie dry wine. SG typically below 1.000.

Got it, like extra dry champagne. I figured but I am not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Back