My Single Tier Brewing Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get your pot lids? That cutout is a nice touch.

I got the lids from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PZBEPE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They are aluminum. They're kinda thinner than I wanted, but they fit pretty well on the keggle and were easy to modify. Only downside is that they get hot and are a bit tough to handle. But the price and construction was right for what I was looking for. The MLT lid triangle cutout was modeled after Lonnie Mac's Brutus 10 MLT lid, much like the rest of the stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done John... How's it working? Any surprises?

It's working great, now that I have all my numbers (boil off, etc.) figured out and dialed in. I initially had a false bottom in the brew kettle, with a secondary filter covering the dip tube to filter out pellet hops (which worked just fine), but I ditched it for whirlpool type setup, with a whirlpool arm and a pickup tube off the the side of the bottom of the kettle. I use both march pumps in series for the whirlpool and it works great.

The only down side is that I need to let the proteins and hops settle out before cooling and transfer to the fermentor, so the wort sits for about 20 mins after the boil. With the false bottom, I could hot kill the plate chiller with filtered wort and then get it below 150º. Both methods work fine, but I feel I get less break and hops in the fermentor by whirlpooling. I can easily put the false bottom and pickup tube back on, if need be (say, to brew a lager or pilsner and to chill the wort ASAP, thus avoiding potential DMS problems), so that's convenient.

It took a while to figure out how to raise the mash temp during vorlof efficiently, but other than that, it works great. Brewday is about 6 hrs, but if I hustle, I think I could shave 45 mins or so off of that time. It's also far less work setting up to brew than it was before, where I had to get everything setup of the shelf.

Very sharp build man! It looks like you and I had very similar ideas about what to build, mine is about 98% complete and I'm about six months into the build if I include my search for empty kegs. I can't wait to try this thing out!

Very sharp build man! It looks like you and I had very similar ideas about what to build, mine is about 98% complete and I'm about six months into the build if I include my search for empty kegs. I can't wait to try this thing out!

Thanks! Luckily, I've had my kegs for quite a while, collecting dust, so I was lucky on that front.

Thank you for the details of your brewing system, I've just completed fabrication of my second all-grain system (first system was a 3-tier gravity setup) and wanted to give you kudos for a simple, clean design.....I've mimicked most of your design elements for my own system and wanted to say thank you for posting details on your build.
Attached is a photo of my system a few days ago before I took it apart for cleaning and painting.....looking forward to my first brew session with the new system.

stand_assy_3.jpg

Thank you for the details of your brewing system, I've just completed fabrication of my second all-grain system (first system was a 3-tier gravity setup) and wanted to give you kudos for a simple, clean design.....I've mimicked most of your design elements for my own system and wanted to say thank you for posting details on your build.
Attached is a photo of my system a few days ago before I took it apart for cleaning and painting.....looking forward to my first brew session with the new system.

Very cool! I see you used the copper tubing for the burners. It works quite well and looks very clean. I also like the placement of your switch box. Makes me wonder why I didn't put mine there, ha. It's really cool to see some of my modifications make it into your final design. Congrats on your build! :mug:

BTW... here's a video of my two March pumps doing a whirlpool. I never really posted any photos of my completed kettles and pump-valve setup, so here it is.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like your build! Thanks for posting such great quality pics. Would you be willing to share your dimensions for your framework? Anything you would change based on the size now that you have been using it for a while? Starting to think about building a stand with a buddy.

What kind of water filtration system do you have mounted on your stand?

Nice build. Looks similar to what I am going for. What kind of paint did you use and how did it hold up after a couple of brew sessions?

Nice build. Looks similar to what I am going for. What kind of paint did you use and how did it hold up after a couple of brew sessions?

I used Rustoleum high heat 2000° paint. The surface where the kettles sit is a bit marred, due to moving the kettles around on the stand, but the rest of the frame looks great. I did sand the frame before I painted it. Also, the paint needs to be cured with heat. I ended up painting the frame, letting it dry using a heat gun, then putting a kettle on each burner with water. I brought them all to boiling, which got the frame around 600°. I then took the kettles off and painted the top of the frame again, while it was still hot. Worked great.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388336040.827526.jpg

Back