First attempt at my own recipe of sorts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverJumper

Reaction score
I am trying to put together a Black IPA I am using 3.3 lb. Amber LME and 3 lb. Amber DME. I want to 1 lb. of victory malt and 1 lb. of Midnight Wheat Malt. My concern is that the Wheat would change the beer type to something else or am I worried about nothing?

The midnight wheat is fine for a black IPA. It should add a roasty flavor and darken the beer. A pound might be a little high for your recipe, MidwestSupplies recommends 2-5% for a Black IPA, http://www.midwestsupplies.com/midnight-wheat-malt.html. I haven't used the grain myself, so I can't comment on their recommendation.

Also, and you may know this already, but the Victory Malt should be mashed. Basically the same process as steeping, but "under the hood" the starches in the victory will convert to sugars. You can accomplish this in a grain bag with the midnight wheat, just try to keep the temperature around 150-154. Then you can remove the grain bag, let is drain into the boil kettle, and when you add more water, use some of that water to rinse the grain bag.

I am trying to put together a Black IPA I am using 3.3 lb. Amber LME and 3 lb. Amber DME. I want to 1 lb. of victory malt and 1 lb. of Midnight Wheat Malt. My concern is that the Wheat would change the beer type to something else or am I worried about nothing?

I'd reduce both grains in half.

You can accomplish this in a grain bag with the midnight wheat, just try to keep the temperature around 150-154. Then you can remove the grain bag, let is drain into the boil kettle, and when you add more water, use some of that water to rinse the grain bag.

midnight wheat has no diastatic power, that'd still be a steep.

Right, the midnight wheat does not have diastatic power. It can be in the same grain bag as the victory malt while the victory is mashed which is the process I was attempting to describe, basically a mini brew in a bag (BIAB) process. Oh, and the water to grain ratio for mashing, I'd use about 1.25-1.5 quarts per pound. I didn't calculate this, but if begin with the water at about 160, then add the grains, you'll be closer to hitting the desired mash temp.

Why would you reduce the grains? I am new to formulation. If I reduce them by half and it turns out well I can make another batch I like that

Right, the midnight wheat does not have diastatic power. It can be in the same grain bag as the victory malt while the victory is mashed which is the process I was attempting to describe, basically a mini brew in a bag (BIAB) process. Oh, and the water to grain ratio for mashing, I'd use about 1.25-1.5 quarts per pound. I didn't calculate this, but if begin with the water at about 160, then add the grains, you'll be closer to hitting the desired mash temp.

AFAIK, victory also has no enzymes, or at least not enough to convert itself, so that still wouldn't be a mash. regardless, victory is perfectly fine to steep. won't get much sugar, but you'll still get color/flavor & it's not starchy enough to worry about haze

Why would you reduce the grains? I am new to formulation. If I reduce them by half and it turns out well I can make another batch I like that

IME, 1lb of victory is too much, YMMV. 0.5lb of midnight wheat should be plenty for a black IPA (subtle roast, light black), but you can keep 1lb if you want extra roast and darker. i'd consider swapping the amber extract for light extract and steeping a lil crystal to have more control over your recipe as well

Honestly I like the midnight wheat idea from what I've read. Wheat will increase head retention, add color, and give the otherwise one dimensional malt flavor a new facet.

I haven't done much thinking about this, but perhaps a caramel malt at around 120 lovibond could really be used instead of victory.

I'm also of the "less is more" camp. A half pound each of any grains you choose should be more than enough to change the beer noticeably. It's easy to over do it (at least for me).

Also, and you may know this already, but the Victory Malt should be mashed. Basically the same process as steeping, but "under the hood" the starches in the victory will convert to sugars. You can accomplish this in a grain bag with the midnight wheat, just try to keep the temperature around 150-154. Then you can remove the grain bag, let is drain into the boil kettle, and when you add more water, use some of that water to rinse the grain bag.
AFAIK, victory also has no enzymes, or at least not enough to convert itself, so that still wouldn't be a mash. regardless, victory is perfectly fine to steep. won't get much sugar, but you'll still get color/flavor & it's not starchy enough to worry about haze

Hmmm, now I'm starting to second guess myself. I initally thought Victory needed to be mashed because it's marked as mash required on the HBT Malt Chart. In addition, Beersmith lists that Victory has a diastatic power of 50 which would be enough to convert itself.

However, Briess's own malt analysis for Victory doesn't show a DP value. As they are the maltster, I think they would know. :confused:

I'm now leaning towards steeping as dcp27 has mentioned.

i'd consider swapping the amber extract for light extract and steeping a lil crystal to have more control over your recipe as well

I second this approach. With Amber extract, the crystal malt has already been added to the extract. The problem is, you don't how much and what type(s) of crystal were used to make the extact. If you already have the extract on hand, that's fine too, don't sweat it.

Yeah I already do have it on hand . The reason I chose the malts and the extracts I did was because of their names and what the description on the packages said. But being a newbie I am learning slot and I love it . The beer is meant to be a concept beer. I am planning on calling it a Soldier IPA. Warrior, Bullet, and Liberty hops. Victory grains. Midnight grain for the twilight'a last gleaming. Amber exracts for Amber waves of grain. I know but it is a brew to welcome home my son from Kuwait. I am getting the guidance that I was hoping for in putting the brew together. Thanks I appreciate the help.

Well I brewed this Soldier IPA a few weeks ago and just bottled it last night. I did not like the hop nose when we put it into second fermentation. So I decided to increase my hops at the dry hopping a few day before bottling I hopped with 4 oz of hops. 2 oz of Falconer's Flight and 2 oz of NZ Green Bullet. I was pleased with the aroma and the coffee notes I tasted in the sample this was what I was aiming for. Not as much chocolate notes as I had hoped but I was thrilled that it didn't suck! I will let you knot how a couple of weeks on the bottle turns out
Dave

Latest posts

Back