no carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjorge3442

Reaction score
So I made a somewhat clone of dogfish heads Indian brown ale. Ended up at 8.5% alcohol and I bottled with 4.7 oz of dextrose. Well two weeks later, I have zero carbonation. Is this because my yeast are exhausted from the primary fermentation?

Just trying to figure out what went wrong. I mean. Its drinkable, but very sweet (obviously from the un fermented sugar). should I give it another two weeks or what?

How are you storing the bottles while carbing? I dont think two weeks is long enough to carbonate, especially if they are cold. 4.7 oz? in what size batch? Three weeks at room temp should be a minimum guideline, i'd try to forget about it for two or three more weeks then try one.

They are in my basement so about 60 degrees. All my other beers have had carbonation at this point. I thought maybe it was because the yeast was way too exhausted from the beer. That was at 1076.

I bottled some on 11-25 and as a=of a week ago they werent carbonated very well. Im going to crack one of those mofo's open to see if anything has changed. I tried single bottle priming, and bulk priming and still dont have an opinion to witch is better. I guess time is both our friend and enemy! let it age!

Definately give it more time. Given that you have a pretty high abv it will take more time to condition. I once had a heavy kit take 3 months to fully carbonate so don't give up hope

I would bring your beer out of the basement and put it in a slightly warmer area of the house. Basements are cold this time of year.

Three weeks at 70 is minimum. Head to the bottling section of the forum.

Seriously. Had the same post but I'm afraid it won't carb up now. Happened to me but you aren't me. Cheers.

As others have said, 60 F is often too cold. I just had this happen last week with an apfelwein. 6 weeks at ~60 F in my closet and no carbonation, then 1 week on a hot pad at 70 F, and it's almost overcarbed (my bad adding too much sugar). Get them yeasties warm!

Thanks guys! They will be taken out of the basement and put in my third floor closet. Let's hope it straightens them out. This is one tasty beer already just not bubbly

Sjorge3442 said:
after all this time in the closet upstairs, these are nice and carbed up. Thanks again

Glad it worked out. Way I could say the same for my beer. I think something is wrong with the recipe or else I have to wait until summer.

One thing I learned about carbing a big beer on the East Coast (New Jersey) this time of year......temperature is key.....I bottled a Double IPA before Xmas.....went back to California and when I came back it wasn't carbed.....which I figured it would be....

After I moved it to the laundry room and 7-10 days of high 60s- low 70s (washer, dryer, heater) they carbed up nice....try keeping them warm for 2 weeks....then check back.....

Back