Dry hop before or after clarifying beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFSbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys I'd like some input on this. I have a fermenting beer that's cloudier than is like it to be so I'm thinking adding a clarifier but I'm not sure if I should add it before or after I dry hop it. Will clearing it after dry hopping remove some of the flavor and aroma? Or does it even matter? I'm also thinking about cold crashing with the clarifier. Thanks!

I would use gelatin. If you are kegging, add gelatin after the keg has chilled for a day or two. Then add the gelatin and carbonate as usual. If bottling, either add the gelatin to the secondary 2-3 days before bottling. I suppose you could add to the bottling bucket and teh beer will clear in the bottle. Shouldn't affect carbonation.

If you're using gelatin, it works best closest to freezing temps. So you would dryhop BEFORE adding gelatin in the secondary. Cold crash to the 30s before adding your bloomed gelatin solution. Wait another 2-4 days then bottle/keg.

I have done this quite a few times and hop quality was not affected. Some people will however tell you that they bind to the gelatin and drop out, but from experience, I have found that this is not the case.

dry hop after

the yeast will bind with some of the aromatic compounds in the hops and strip them from the beer

you can either warm the beer up to dry hop or dry hop at low temps, not much difference except for extraction times

Back