Cooler or Rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukonamo

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my mash/lauter tun. I am currently using a plastic bucket wrapped in a blanket and it doesn't have the best temperature stability. I am thinking of either doing a 10 gallon cooler conversion or a RIMS tube. Does anyone have any input?

I'm a gadget guy and love the idea of a direct fired RIMS system but for money reasons went with this - not as much bling factor but works awesome and I lose 0 degrees over an hour mash. 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler with an 11 gal Bayou Classic pot liner.

photo-5.jpg

I have a cooler with a RIMS. Overkill? Maybe, but it is nice having complete control of it, and makes step mashes a breeze. I just bought 3 20 gallon kettles and will be switching to a direct fired MLT with RIMS. Why? Who knows, thats just how I roll.

I'm a gadget guy and love the idea of a direct fired RIMS system but for money reasons went with this - not as much bling factor but works awesome and I lose 0 degrees over an hour mash. 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler with an 11 gal Bayou Classic pot liner.

That's pretty slick, what kind of modifications if any were required to make the kettle fit?

Is it a snug or loose fit?

Chris

mountainman13 said:
I have a cooler with a RIMS. Overkill? Maybe, but it is nice having complete control of it, and makes step mashes a breeze. I just bought 3 20 gallon kettles and will be switching to a direct fired MLT with RIMS. Why? Who knows, thats just how I roll.

I think this might be the approach I take. I like the ability to have complete control of the temperature.

How far down did you cut the threaded portion of the cooler off? I want to try this but I little nervous about diving into it.

How far down did you cut the threaded portion of the cooler off? I want to try this but I little nervous about diving into it.

Check out the photos is the thread, you'll see it's right at the step. The hieght is just right for the ss pot and it leaves you with the hard cooler plastic across the top.

lpdjshaw said:
Check out the photos is the thread, you'll see it's right at the step. The hieght is just right for the ss pot and it leaves you with the hard cooler plastic across the top.

Thanks, that's what it looked like but figured I'd ask.

I suggest that you first remove the cooler's liner, measure the height of the opening, measure the height of the kettle under the lip and then cut the threads off at the appropriate height. I cut mine about 3/4" above the flat on the cooler.

Used together with a pump and RIMS tube has produced my most consistent results to date, holding temperature at the RIMS outlet at 154 and at the MLT output at 153.5 for the duration of the mash after stabilization from dough in.

I have made that modification to my cooler. What are you guys doing for the return from your Rims/Herms to the Mash Tun? Debating going through the side or the lid.

I have made that modification to my cooler. What are you guys doing for the return from your Rims/Herms to the Mash Tun? Debating going through the side or the lid.

I have the return going through the wall of the cooler. To do this I soldered a 1/2" pipe coupling the same way as the valve/dip tube coupling. A loc-line return line from bobby_m inside and a camlock fitting outside to finish it off.

Back