What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow,congrats man! That gold should def feel like a real accomplishment. Checked the tracking on my stuff from midwest today. it's on schedule for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to get started on my PM Berliner Weisse.

Just got a deal on a 50 qt kettle for $31 shipped (Thank you amazon!). Order all the hi-temp hose I need, a SS valve for my new kettle and a sparge arm. It looks like its going to be a good weekend!

What I did for beer today: did some research on using vanilla beans and cacao nibs.

What I did not do for beer today: pay $20/bottle for KBS at the bottle shop. They were displaying them in the front case between a bottle of Utopias and some $200 scotch. Eff that.

Bottled my dry Irish stout after 4 weeks in primary! I now have 4 beers in the pipeline... WooHoo!

Took a tour of the Mayflower brewery in Plymouth MA with a special tasting session for our group. A small craft brewery, very good beers across the board, from golden ales on up through porters and stouts and Scotch ales. No weird beers (blueberry crap or maple bacon nonsense), just really good ale styles. Try them if you are in the area. I was impressed.

Earlier in the day I broke down and bought a 6-gallon glass carboy and a bigger fermenter for wines (that will see double service making more beer, I'm sure).

I spent a bunch of money on three bottles of Rogue XS series IIPA. The kind with the ceramic bottles. The beer is pretty good, but the bottles are the real prize. They've been a staple in my bottling since Thanksgiving 2012, and I now have ten from Rogue, and two from St. Sebastiaan.

I'll empty one on Friday. Saturday, if Friday turns out to be as bad a day as I expect it to be.

I freaked out that my double ryepa was not fermenting after 48 hours. Started to sanitize a new fermenter. The hope was to rack the shandy off a very healthy 6 day old yeast cake and rack the rye on top of it so i could salvage the batch. Shook up the shandy to prep it for settling. Began to pull blow off tube out of the rye and the bubbles started flowing! Spent 2 hours on blowoff duty for shaking up the shandy...

Drooled over the boxes of stainless steel that showed up on my porch this afternoon from Brewhardware.com (aka BobbyM). Great service and shipping from Bobby as usual. The order was placed on my behalf for a birthday present, and he took the time to correct an inaccuracy before processing the order. It wasn't my first order from Bobby, and definitely won't be my last!

Did some comparison shopping on SS QDs to make using my March pump a whole lot easier.
Listened to CYBI on Maharajah, Wychwood Hobgoblin, and Terrapin Wake'n'Bake to get some ideas for my late summer/fall line up.
Looked for a burner upgrade that will work with my SQ14.
Considered whether my 3 kegs will be carbed for Thursday's HB meeting & Saturday's BBQ party

Racked my barleywine onto some oak soaked in a fine Bajan rum, took a gravity reading on my Bender clone, and made a starter to harvest the dregs of some CL Hops n Roses (bottled with Brett).

Listened to CYBI on Maharajah, Wychwood Hobgoblin, and Terrapin Wake'n'Bake to get some ideas for my late summer/fall line up.

I sampled my Orfy Hobgoblin II clone last night, pretty good with only 4 days priming in the keg :D

took my pilsner pine ipa out of secondary and put it in the c02
brewed the miller lite clone from the recipe database
gonna brew again saturday
my pipeline is ailing!!!

Bottling a robust porter, and brewing a barleywine. The porter was the small beer for the starter. Huge barleywine time!

Trying to decide what to drink after a week and a half of sinusitis god the decisions I have tonight

image-242086423.jpg

2 perlick faucets came, so I put some of that fancy beverage line on them.

Still, I have 20 gallons of home brew, and not a drop to drink. But soon, soon, maybe next weekend...

I put together my new 10 gal Cooler mash tun. Bought the bulkhead kit, from bargainfittings. Bought the false bottom, from Adventures in homebrewing. and bought locknuts, and a 90 elbow fittings, from ebayer "mainlandvf". I also made a trip down to my lhbs, "All about Brewing", to buy grain.

My fermentation chamber needs it's brains, so I started to put that together and tomorrow will hook it up to the keezer to keep the temps moderated. Fun stuff.

Went to my LHBS and got specialty malts for my next half dozen brews or so. Going to make a farmhouse dubbel today. Pils, special B, chocolate malt, and some sorghum syrup. Not the gluten-free brewint stuff, the real deal, sometimes erroneously called sorghum molasses. This will be the second beer I've tried sorghum in as a local alternative to candi syrup.

I downloaded the trial to beersmith, because I do not like dealing with Brewtoad. already working out better...

First beer in over a year! Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde is home in its fermenter right now. Yeah, yeah, way too long; there were other factors at play. After pulling myself out of a funk, working my butt off for a job search, and some upgrades to my mash tun last month and this week, I brewed today almost on a whim. Glad I did! It feels really good.

Back