My procedure, on batch #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I steeped me grains for 20 mins @ 153° then boiled for an hour. I couldn't tell you what temp. Boiling temp, as I did not think to measure the boil. I threw my hops in through the whole boil as well. Even the cool down. I rehydrated my yeast as I was brewing a gal. My grain bill is as follows.
2lbs. Of 2 row
1lb. Of Crystal 80 L
.25 lb. Of chocolate
1 oz. of Chinook hops.
(love the smell of chinook)
And fermenting as we speak. I'm just curious if any pointers that could help me. Anything I may or may have not done. My goal is a creamy stout.

Is there some DME or LME in there? That's not enough for a 5 gal batch - what is your batch size? Also, way too much crystal malt.

I would change the title of this thread before you get sued....

#justsaying

EDIT:
Did you boil the grains?
How do you not measure water, how do you know your getting proper conversion?
Do you take gravity readings?

OK - one gallon - got it.
1. Too much Crystal Malt, considering you'd (probably) use less for 5 gallons of stout.
2. I like Chinook too, but that's going to probably be a lot more bitter than the stouts you're used to. Traditional stouts, anyway.
3. You'll get creamy from oats, but I don't see that in your recipe. Next time, use some oats.
4. Yeast - what yeast did you use. I'd suggest something along the lines of Wyeast 1084.

+1 on some gravity readings and such.

I would change the title of this thread before you get sued....

#justsaying

EDIT:
Did you boil the grains?
How do you not measure water, how do you know your getting proper conversion?
Do you take gravity readings?

Took my geavity reading @ 1.055 did not boil my grains, but my wort, did not measure temp of boil, measured water @ 2 gal. Left me a perfect gallon of wort. I have no clue if I was getting a proper conversion. How does one measure? Title changing, think your right in the suing part.

OK - one gallon - got it.
1. Too much Crystal Malt, considering you'd (probably) use less for 5 gallons of stout.
2. I like Chinook too, but that's going to probably be a lot more bitter than the stouts you're used to. Traditional stouts, anyway.
3. You'll get creamy from oats, but I don't see that in your recipe. Next time, use some oats.
4. Yeast - what yeast did you use. I'd suggest something along the lines of Wyeast 1084.

+1 on some gravity readings and such.

Have oats, just forgot. But I also have lactose. My yeast is Safbrew T58. And yes. 1 oz of hops baby. Oh yeah. How are oats utilized for wort?

Have oats, just forgot. But I also have lactose. My yeast is Safbrew T58. And yes. 1 oz of hops baby. Oh yeah. How are oats utilized for wort?
Prepared for wort? Toss them in with grains. I really haven't gotten pass the barley, hops & yeast part

Oats are mashed with the grain. Just toss them in. I've never had need to use lactose, so someone else will need to tackle that one.

EDIT: I would have used S-04 rather than T-58, but (like all things brewing) it's your call.

Oats are mashed with the grain. Just toss them in. I've never had need to use lactose, so someone else will need to tackle that one.

EDIT: I would have used S-04 rather than T-58, but (like all things brewing) it's your call.

I liked the spicy part about it. I'm going for a creamy stout. But I figured "what the hell".That's why I tossed in a oz. of "mmmm" chinook. I knew it was going to be bitter. Bring it baby. Maybe a creamy ipa stout. Ooohhh. Maybe dryhop some too. Think we got somtin' diffrint'. I'm trying that next.

Don't you have to crush or grind the oats? As mine are not. Or does not matter?

Just use the oats in the grain bag. You don't need to crush them or anything.

Keep us posted on how this comes out. You might be a little disappointed because of the huge amount of crystal malt, but who knows? You might come up with something you love.

I'm all for experimentation, but I'd suggest grabbing a few books - Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers come to mind. They'll help you better understand the basics so you'll have a better base when you try something new.

:mug:

Thank you. I'll keep you posted. I worte down your suggestion of S o4. On the next batch I'll try it.

Back