Home Malt House Equipment build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southpawbrasserie

Reaction score
I am in the process of designing a piece of equipment that will be used for malting barley, or grain for that matter. I haven't drawn any blueprints yet but when I do, I will post them. I have searched the internet for any ideas or even if there is equipment that is manufactured for "small scale" or home malting. I have came up with nothing. So if anyone knows of any such equipment, please let me know.

To get your head wrapped around what I have in mind...I want to have a vessel that is around 2'-4' in diameter and around 2' deep. It will have a false bottom made from the perforated sheet that is used for mash tun false bottoms. It will be "slighty" tilted and have a drain to one side with a solenoid ball valve. It will have a spinning shaft in the middle with 2 arms and 8-10 total "little plows" to stir the grain (similar to the stirring arms in coffee roaster drop trays). Also, higher on the shaft it will have another set of arms with spray bars to keep the grain moist. The shaft will rotate from a gear motor on the underside of the vessel. A tube will run through the middle of the shaft for the spray bars. I am unsure as to exactly what I will use to connect the rotating tube on the shaft and the stationary tube on the underneath side of the vessel as well as will the gear motor be in the way for this water tube. So any suggestions will help! But from there I will have an inline pump then a solenoid valve. A standard water hose will attach on the side but underneath the vessel that runs to the solenoid valve. Last, I will have legs to make it about waist high and a cover or lid to keep out unwanted's. If I cannot find a way for the water tube to connect on the underneath side with the gear motor in the same spot, I will go with the water tube running up the outside (or inside) of the vessel and have the water come in from the top to the spray bars.

As far as the solenoid valves, pump and motor...I will have a control box with 3 separate timer's, some kind of PID timer's if they exist...One for the motor, one for the drain and one for the water pump & spray bars. Along with that, I will have the drain solenoid and spray bar/water in solenoid. Also, I will have bypass buttons for each, so instead of setting the timer to make it run during manual cycles or cleaning, I can just turn a switch of hit a button. I want to install a glycol system around the vessel to control the temperature for the steeping and germinating stages with the temperature controller in the control box, and last install an aeration coil that is in the false bottom void but has a connection that runs to the top of the vessel, or mid way just somewhere above the level of the water while soaking, to avoid draining while connecting an aeration pump.

I would like to find SS sheets that I can stick weld to make the vessel, along with all of materials. If I can't find SS materials that I can stick weld, I will consider looking for an already built vessel and go from there.

So does any have any comments or suggests? What speed should the shaft/arms turn, and what kind of motor? Since it will be under a small load, I would think I need some kind of motor with torque. What kind of pump should I use? I'm thinking of a march pump, but this is not necessary since the water won't be hot. Can you think of a vessel around this size and capable of adding the mentioned items/materials? And a "big one" is building the glycol system. I have seen somewhere recently that someone built a system with a picnic cooler as the glycol holding tank, but I am unsure. Can someone help in this department? I have never researched it. Anywho, thanks!

I would have thought someone would weigh in on this topic by now. I find great interest in malting and would have thought there are others. At least someone to critique my equipment design...

Holy cow. How are you planning on kilning that much malt?

I think you're not getting any comments because this goes way, way beyond most DIY projects. You're planning on being able to make caramalts, etc? Pretty ambitous.

Good luck, I hope you pull it off.

Ya, best of luck for sure! Someone has to pave the way, and in this case, I think it's you! I think we'd all be very interested to see what you can come up with.

I guess I CAN weigh in on the glycol chiller part. I recently built a glycol chiller, but just haven't used it on a beer yet. Used an AC unit with the cooling fins bent down into the cooler below. Running it through the coils, I think we got the coils down to 26°F and with just the AC going, we got the bath down to 19°F. Should work really well. I have a 300W aquarium heater that I plan to use in the winter.

A system to measure as well as control the humidity and moisture content of the grains as they progress through the entire process.
From what I have read the moisture of the grain and how it is eventually dried plays a very important part in producing a malt.

OMO

bosco

TNGabe- Right now I have a 2'X2' cubed oast with 4 racks. I can kiln about 15-20 lbs at a time. I will be build a bigger oast with the build of this equipment. I already make caramalts, base malts, highly kilned malts, kilned malts. I can make every variety malt very close if not exact to the commercial examples.

mpcluever- I'd like to know more and see some pictures if you can? I'm not very spun up on glycol systems, but when the time comes, I'll brush up on it.

boscobeans- Very true. I think I have the process down though.

When I make this equipment it is going to reflect my current process, just on a bigger, more advanced and less physical work scale. I've made numerous batches of malt with great success. For example, I made a BIAB batch with 100% wheat malt, and used an online recipe builder. The recipe I put together had something like a 78% efficiency with an OG:1.050. (my first BIAB, so I wasn't sure where to start on efficiency) When I took the grav, I had hit 1.056, so I think not only the malt I made but the process I conducted with this brew were pretty darn good.

TNGabe- Right now I have a 2'X2' cubed oast with 4 racks. I can kiln about 15-20 lbs at a time. I will be build a bigger oast with the build of this equipment. I already make caramalts, base malts, highly kilned malts, kilned malts. I can make every variety malt very close if not exact to the commercial examples.

mpcluever- I'd like to know more and see some pictures if you can? I'm not very spun up on glycol systems, but when the time comes, I'll brush up on it.

boscobeans- Very true. I think I have the process down though.

When I make this equipment it is going to reflect my current process, just on a bigger, more advanced and less physical work scale. I've made numerous batches of malt with great success. For example, I made a BIAB batch with 100% wheat malt, and used an online recipe builder. The recipe I put together had something like a 78% efficiency with an OG:1.050. (my first BIAB, so I wasn't sure where to start on efficiency) When I took the grav, I had hit 1.056, so I think not only the malt I made but the process I conducted with this brew were pretty darn good.

This is hardcore. Do you have any pictures?

I don't have any pictures atthe moment. I haven't started the build. I have an unexpected move in the next few months so when I get settled in I'm going to start the build and will post pictures at the soonest available time...

Southpaw have you started your move yet? I can hardly wait for an update on your malt house build. Moving is so consuming though. It sometimes takes months to get everything set up again and get "settled in".

I have moved but the garage and shop are still in boxes. And it's been so damn busy, I swear this is the last time I'm moving! Lol. But that is actually the first project Ill be working. I listen to Basic Brewing Radio and my wife suggested I get this equipment built, write up like an ebook and send it to James Spencer for a show. Can't blame her, it doesn't sound like a bad plan. Maybe if the word is spread, more homebrewers will malt. It's a really easy process in making a MORE homemade beer. Thanks for the interest and Ill post as I get rolling. I'll prob be advice and tips :)

great, now I need to build a malt house in my back acre, thanks a lot southpawbrasserie...

Southpaw, I went back and read your post on the details of your planned malting chamber. With the water supply and drain valve/solenoid, rotating chamber and timer functions, it kinda sounds like a repurposed washing machine. The timing intervals would be longer. I don't know, but taking a look at a washing machine might just give you some ideas on your build.

I would really like to malt my own grain, and have done so on a small scale (1 pound at a time). My biggest problems have been 1) finding an easy way of removing the rootlets from the grain, and 2) maintaining a consistent drying temperature. For both of these operations, I have thought about cleaning up an old dryer, adding a screen inside the drum and setting up temp control.

Since my last reply back in May of last year, I have malted about 15 lbs. of grain (barley, wheat and rye). All malt batches have been done in a cool dark room on cookie sheets. Cookie sheets work well for small batches. 2 lbs. spread over 3 cookie sheets works well for me. I cover the bottom with paper towels and wet them down. Then I pour in the grain that has been pre-soaked and drained and spread it out evenly. Next, add more paper towels on top of the grain. Make sure to cover all the grain without hanging over the sides. Then I wet down the top layer of towels. Carefully drain off any excess water. You want the grain to remain moist, but not be sitting in water. Add water every day as needed until ready to dry.

You are doing something I have been designing in my head for the last year but not as big. I already malt my own grain but only Gluten free as I can't drink more then 2 "regular beers" before I get very sick with it. I malt millet and my max capacity is 3.5Kg (7.7LBS) but that is all my recipes call for so it works for me. Would be good to see some pictures. I was going to have a drum within a drum where the outside one is stationary and the inside turns on a center shaft.

Back