reusing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg595

Reaction score
I've got a few bottles that had wine in them from the store. They are screw on tops. Not cork.
The question I have is.... can I reuse these bottles with the the screw on lids or can I get corks that will fit in them?

I've re corked screw tops before when I was in a pinch. Just be careful, I was told that some of those aren't designed for the force of a cork going in them and can shatter the glass. As far as re capping them with a twist off, I've never done it so really can't help on that part

I've got a few bottles that had wine in them from the store. They are screw on tops. Not cork.
The question I have is.... can I reuse these bottles with the the screw on lids or can I get corks that will fit in them?

No, typically the neck is slightly wider ID the cork will slide in easy but it won't seal properly to prevent oxidation.

Thanks. Can I use masking jars for my wine? I have alot of them. I can tomato sauce and pickles from my garden. And if so. Would I seal them the same way I do for my canning?

Thanks. Can I use masking jars for my wine? I have alot of them. I can tomato sauce and pickles from my garden. And if so. Would I seal them the same way I do for my canning?

No. Wine bottles have a narrow neck to minimize contact with oxygen. Mason jars would have too much risk of contamination.

The brew and wine shop where I live has screw on caps for bottles. But thanks.

Back