Imperial Stout tastes off, bottle or experiment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachary80

Reaction score
I brewed a Partial Mash Yeti clone 6/16/11 and transferred it to a better bottle 7/23/11, where it has since sat in my basement at about 58*. There was a period where the airlock was unknowingly off, and then dried up, before eventually I just used a stopper.

Anyway, it does not appear to be infected at all from the sample I took last night, but it doesn't really taste like any of the RIS I have had, especially yeti (even cellared yeti). Not overly sweet, maybe lacking roast (but recipe looks right) and underhopped, but I think the flavors I don't like are from letting the yeast run too hot.

My question is should I attempt to add something to it to cover up the of taste, or hope that some carbonation makes it seem right?

Mash:
.75lb Black Patent
1.75lb 2 Row
.75lb Chocolate
10oz Black Roasted Barley
1lb Crystal 120

Then:
9lb Pale LME

Hops:
1oz Chinook 60
1oz Chinook 30
.5oz Centennial 15
.5oz Centennial 5

2x Rehydrated US05 yeast

Target OG 1.090
Target FG 1.018 (don't have notes for either)

Wow, I did not notice that. Should not matter with such a big beer. If it is not 'funky' it will likely be very good.

My other thought was the underhoppedness, I would think that the hops would have faded after that long period of time. You'd likely have to re-pitch some yeast to get any carbonation as well.

I agree on both, hops, while not over present in a beer like that will be gone by now and the need for more yeast to bottle.
Wish I could let a big RIS sit for 18+ months!

Thanks for the input. Correct on the two years - this was not entirely forgotten about, but was easily passed over by beers that required a more strict timeline. The biggest factor was that I became extremely busy. Certainly made it easier.

Could very well be mellowing of the hops over time. Had plenty of cellared stouts and stouts served warm but for those I've had only the best commercial examples, not a first attempt.

Bottled with half a packet of US05 (the original yeast). Expecting probably 6 weeks to fully carb, we've had a long lag in other high gravity beers before and the temperature here has been abnormally low.

3 weeks since bottling, and it is the best batch we've made. Good head if a hard pour, but probably needs a couple weeks to finish up in the bottle. I'd say it is lacking some of the body of a Yeti, but the flavor is good, and my brother even claimed he liked it more. The "off" flavor I was concerned about seems to fit with the rest of the beer. My brother described it as similar to some barrel aged stouts he has had, but I think its the result of basically being bulk cellered - reminds me of year old Black Note compared to regular Black Note.

Threads like these make me smile. Awesome to hear it came out. I've had a similar experience..

Back