Old Warrior Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Howdy all. I have a quick question: how old is too old when it comes to hops? I have some Warriors sitting in the freezer, been there for about 9 mos. (forgot about them). I have a beer I'm going to do this week (12# vienna, .5# victory and 2 oz. of simcoe). I'd like to use the warrior for bittering, but if not i would just bitter with an oz. of simcoe and add the other oz. at flameout or so.

Use the Warrior, 9 mos isnt too bad for hops if they were stored properly in the freezer. If you use beersmith it will calculate the ibu decrease for the age of your hops but you should be fine.

Remember that hops are harvested in the fall, so any hops you see for sale right now were harvested in September/October 2012. They are the same age as the ones in my freezer, although I have some 2011 hops as well.

If they are properly stored, vacuum packed and in the freezer especially, they will be fine for several years.

Latest posts

Back