Driving me mad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
and now day 12, sample tastes almost the same homebrew taste but smelt inside the lid and potent almost vinegary smell!!

Are opening and closing your lid daily ?? I hope not. Everytime you open and close you risk contamination. 12 days ain't nothing . I pitch my yeast and it stays until 3 weeks later . I check the gravity and if it's good I keg or bottle. You have to have patience . You cant go wrong with leaving it alone for 3 weeks man . The taste will get better . Only time you should open is to dry hop or add ingredients, then purge with co2 . My advice is if you cant go a few weeks of processing the beer you need to have a 12 pack on site lol . With patience you will be rewarded. You could be getting co2 gas that the yeast is producing . #1 cleanliness & sanitation #2 fermentation temps #3 patience .

Vinegar is a pungent and obvious smell. If it truly is that, it's an acetobacter infection and the beer is probably hosed. If it's "kinda" like vinegar than it may not be. I know that is not very scientific, but let your nose be your guide. Vinegar will have a distinctly tart flavor. Refer to the bottle in your kitchen cabinet for a sanity check.

Otherwise refer to other posts. Stop peeking at the beer and stop tasting it. Nearly all beer tastes like crap until it's been packaged for 2 weeks at a minimum.

Hard to tell. What temperature did you ferment this and what yeast did you use? More info would certainly help.
fermented at 1st 22c, dropped to 20c and kept constant and has only just now has risen to 22c again. yeast used was ale yeast that came with coopers apa kit

What you're smelling might also be what we might call a "green beer" smell. Once the yeast have chewed through all of the easily reachable sugars, they will work on "cleaning up" after themselves by getting rid of acetaldehyde, a by-product of fermentation which can have both the smell and taste of green apples. Get thee some patience, grasshoppah! Yes, some beers can be "done" in 12 days, but yours obviously needs some more time. Leave it completely alone for at least another 5 days. Better yet, start another batch to take your mind off the first one!

You probably feel a strong CO2 smell coming from fermenters. Put the sample in the glass and try to smell it after half an hour. If you feel a strong smell of vinegar then it is possible that it is infected.

Back