Drip machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefRex

I once had a thought,
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm once again looking for a new drip machine, willing to spend this time but want something that will last if I'm stepping up, reading reviews as usual people complain, people praise, gets confusing.
Looking at Technivorm Moccamaster and Bonavita, what ya got and what do you like?

Commercial bunn was my favorite.

No longer drip, all espresso- but most (90%) are americanos.

My parents use the moccamaster, with **** beans and grinder. So I have to reserve judgement on the machine.

We had a bunn for almost 8 years and loved it except for a few things. I read the reviews and we ended up with a cuisinart extreme brew. We have had it for a few weeks now and I am pretty happy with it.

I'm once again looking for a new drip machine, willing to spend this time but want something that will last if I'm stepping up, reading reviews as usual people complain, people praise, gets confusing.
Looking at Technivorm Moccamaster and Bonavita, what ya got and what do you like?

The bonavita was big disappointment for me and I ended up returning it. It couldn't extract evenly and produced awful cups.

My strong suggestion for quality brew, ditch the auto Brewer and buy a quality burr grinder; preferably one that weighs the grinds. passedpawn just got the oxo grinder they weighs and I use a baratza vario-w. A good grinder is easily the single most important tool for making good coffee.

Fwiw - I normally brew press pot but use a lot of other manual methods to mix things up

The bonavita was big disappointment for me and I ended up returning it. It couldn't extract evenly and produced awful cups.

My strong suggestion for quality brew, ditch the auto Brewer and buy a quality burr grinder; preferably one that weighs the grinds. passedpawn just got the oxo grinder they weighs and I use a baratza vario-w. A good grinder is easily the single most important tool for making good coffee.

Fwiw - I normally brew press pot but use a lot of other manual methods to mix things up

I have a french press and a vacuum pot, but for weekdays I need a drip.
I will have to look into a better grinder, I have a $50 burr grinder that does a far superior job to my old whirrly job.
( goes to amazon and searches OXO);)

I'm thinking about the OXO 9-cup. This coffee maker staggers the water additions to mimic my a pour-over.

I absolutely love the OXO grinder I got for christmas. If this coffee maker is anything like the grinder, I'd be super happy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YEYKK8U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

PP, do you store coffee in the hopper?
Is the receiver plastic? Mine is plagued with static electricity and the area that the grinder shoots out to is frosted.
Any grinders have a glass receiver?
@jammin I know I have read you suggesting 65mm burs, what is your suggestion on a particular unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the receiver plastic? Mine is plagued with static electricity and the area that the grinder shoots out to is frosted.
@jammin I know I have read you suggesting 65mm burs, what is your suggestion on a particular unit?

Yes. I refill it when it gets below half full. It holds a pound of beans.

The jar that catches the coffee is tinted plastic, with a domed removable opaque lid. I think there is some grounds/chaffe that static to the inside of it, but it hasn't been an issue AT ALL, and whatever is sticking to the insides is VERY minimal.

I'm just enamored by its design, functionally and aesthetically. I've been using it since Dec 25 and I haven't had one single issue of any kind, which is why I'm thinking about buying the matching brewer.

large burrs are traditionally something that "hardcore" espresso enthusiasts focus, not so much drip coffee junkies. you will find that the very best drip grind is produced by VERY large flat burrs though. unfortunately the very best drip grinders are either very expensive or very large. i have a friend who customized a Bunn G3 by chopping the hopper to reduce size and replacing the stock, stamped 80mm burrs (which are VERY good btw) with the MUCH improved Ditting KF804 machined burrs. The Ditting burr set he installed belongs to a $2500 grinder and is pretty much the best drip burr set on the planet. He had to machine a small fitting so they could be mounted in his bunn. He also removed the step fittings in the grinder adjustment wheel and improved it for "infinite adjustment" for more control over grind.

my personal dream grinder which i hope to own someday is the Mahlkonig Tanzania. It is also known as the Ditting KR805. I'd pop for the KR804 modified if money was no object. They all sport the same 80mm machined burr set and produce the same grind. They have subtle differences in ergonomics. although they are much smaller than a bunn g1, they are still beasts in a household kitchen and VERY spendy.

My baratza Vario-W is a very nice little home unit though and I can't complain. I swapped out the stock ceramic burrs in favor of the Stainless 54mm machined burrs by Ditting. This burr set was quite revolutionary to the home user class and is still unrivaled.

Another very unique grinder Baratza came out with a few years ago is the Preciso. Baratza designed a very unique 40mm conical burr set and built this grinder around it. It is one of the only grinders on the market that can seriously straddle drip and espresso duty and do both VERY well. I have never used it myself, but by all reports the grind is superb. It features a dual stage, stepped grind adjustment. It makes for repeatable and consistent grind results.

The Baratza Virtuoso is a grinder I owned for a year and wished I never sold. It has a solid 40mm burr set and simple, single stage grind adjustment. In hind site, it made the best drip grind of any grinder I have personally ever used or owned. I have also read a couple really interesting studies where several, mostly commercial grinders were studied via laser partical distribution analysis. The humble Virtuoso held it's own admirable when compared to heavy weights such as the Ditting KR series in regards to producing a consistent press grind with low amounts of "dust". IMHO, press grind is the ultimate test for a drip grinder. Weird as it sounds, producing large grind particles without making any dust is the hardest thing for a coffee grinder to do. In any case, I'd highly recommend the Virtuoso to you!. You can get a great deal on a refurb unit by buying directly from Baratza. You can email [email protected] to see what he can do for you if one isn't directly available on the web: http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RFRB

^which leads me to my next point. Baratza makes a cradle that acts as a scale and cuts the power to their grinders when the desired amount of coffee has been ground. It is called the e-sato and I see that there is currently a refurb unit for sale hint hint, wink wink!

get yourself a virtuoso and an e-sato attachment and you'll have a serious piece of kit!

Bunn 10 cup Velocity machine with a Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder..

Not super high end, but then again, I dont wear skinny jeans and flannel either.
783.gif

Not super high end, but then again, I dont wear skinny jeans and flannel either.
783.gif

That's the grinder I'm presently using, I've worn flannel but I'm many years from being a hipster.
My coffee tools budget for the year is already blown:D but one more piece won't hurt.
Jammin is very sensible and has deterred me from ever going down the espresso rabbit hole but I do want the best coffee I can afford.

783.gif

Oh, Cuisinart is one of the best brands in case of different equipment for making coffee! :) Can't not to add a reply in this old thread because I adore their production too, the most of all I liked their coffee makers :) Cuisinart makes very good espresso machines, also cool combo models with grinders like in this list for example, personally I have such 12-cup coffee maker made with this brand and it's very good, one of the best in this category as I know :)

71kXZ6r5ogL._SL1500_-500x932.jpg

I still have my old separate grinder but I now I use it rather rare, such machines are definetely not for so lazy people as I :D

Back