Drilling through urn heating element plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoo

Reaction score
Got a question. I am considering modifying my Mash and Boil to make a bottom/center drain, using something like the bore-only weldless bulkhead here. I am ripping out all of the internal electronic controls for the elements here, but still using the same heating elements.

Upon opening it up, I have discovered that the whole element assembly is some kind of solid disc. Feels like ceramic of some kind. If I had to guess, the center is a plate of solid ceramic insulation to direct the heating element heat up through the stainless top plate, and as such I could safely drill through it (being very, very careful to avoid cracking it). However, I am not 100% sure, and figure there may be someone here who actually knows what this thing is made of before I mess it up.

The question I have is: Is it safe to drill through the center of it to fit a weldless bulkhead?

Feel free to assume the following:
1) I am killing the short protection circuit and basically all other electronics in here, with the notable exception of the heating elements, which will be controlled in a separate control mechanism, using my own control scheme.
2) I am competent both working with electronics and plumbing in general.
3) I understand how dangerous mixing water and electricity is, and will be adding multiply redundant safety features (including short protection), and testing the ever living crap out of every seal.

AWm6veLWuR_w_BP5j2zCZiIKTr8T-YjJDqX3FLrPgaZbPhlefLxZny7zkEzc6Rw9wsihGiH-cdsYgyQhd1lfB6PrEzBYY3-OWja5zW0ig5ju7-jJUQhss9dqWtDmPGXAZD3Vnk1N3IELKfSOm6pZfGIs8vvPNdBp1tmhFJnZG8I1jqvjFMxvdZdeFK3qeYK4K6uy6tmeQOHgbl4sRcdN7hsRONgOqL04btlbRT0x0B1cfoguszSWct6lVPMV0YE_dcMbhVyA-hvTDuyz830Nt6_yvoaKrK0Jn0rA4NY4LjepkFd5iy1PWHafoxZoMWngrxT-tuDVb057l927_VrELRwa8l45BsQrvc3dE0_nuM83qLnuQPJbyfPa9C4rlYsE53PyGAdmY00pIpaL6ZFEs4vp-y8z_-sB81AKNkqMdkehR64CRk_57iDvH_xKVvQwj4dbKqhrRkK20kZP4H8jOcdY8Dr77wABVFuaGgGljPt3eLqoFVr1b3nmqCMx4JmWqAeYtfSzQ5i5YMrDHjUXBb4CCyX2z4IQhlbXSj1yuRE7dhB9fN7RcI5ZgnNlUZEFElvjAXPBtKlQAz-S3SS29wue3uOgRX7YReUPmk_4RtENYEQpkAMtfCTllvowwGnCPV9MQf2--U0dz7fTJ65GMZO3=w1937-h1646-no

. . . and in case you are wondering, that flat bit on the outside edge is the other possible place where I could add a bulkhead. However, the flat bit is a bit too narrow to use a 1/2" weldless bulkhead there, so I'd probably have to get something welded/silver soldered on if I went that route and/or go with a 3/8" hole, which is fine, but not ideal.

Last edited:
Back