Drilling a Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three step bits in my tool box. Two of them are over ten years old. They don't get used everyday but they have drilled a lot of holes, including a lot of stainless. Klein Tools. Our home depot has them in the electrical section. All my Klein tools last forever. Just quit expecting Chinese s+:t to work and buy some real tools.

NickN72 said:
maybe i'm just lucky, but i don't understand why everyone has so much trouble drilling a keggle. I have a cheapo 14.4 volt drill and it took me a whole 30 seconds to do. I had a dewalt bit, drilled about a 1/4 inch whole, then used a cheapo step bit i got in a 3 pack at menards for $12. Didn't use any oil or anything. I've done 2 of them and I had the valve on and done in less than 5 minutes each.

What brand was that? The cheapest step bit I could find at menard's was a single irwin bit for $36!

I believe that it was just tool shop brand (menards house brand). I know what you mean about the irwin, I thought i was going to have to spend that much, but then i found these sitting on the bottom shelf. its a 3 pack with 3 different sizes.

I drilled 14 holes in three kegs in one day using harbor freight step bits and a dewalt cordless drill with two batteries. Took about an hour. The best part, I was able to use the large step bit to ream out the backside of the holes. This left things very clean.

I have a hammer drill, but it never occured to me to use it as steady pressure with about 3/4 speed got the job done.

BrewMoreBeers said:
I drilled 14 holes in three kegs in one day using harbor freight step bits and a dewalt cordless drill with two batteries. Took about an hour. The best part, I was able to use the large step bit to ream out the backside of the holes. This left things very clean.

I have a hammer drill, but it never occured to me to use it as steady pressure with about 3/4 speed got the job done.

Step bits like most drills are hardened steel. They are hard but brittle. I would not use them with a hammer drill.

Posted elsewhere, but I had trouble finding go info, so hopefully this post will help someone else who's apprehensive about cheap step bits (aka harbor freight)

For SS Keggles:
I used a 7/8" step bit from harbor freight (2 for ~$15) and 18V Ryobi to drill out 8 holes for weldless SS fittings (bargainfittings.com). First measured for location and then hammered the point of a philips screwdriver to make a slight indent. Switched to a 3/8" standard bit to drill a pilot hole. Using the high-speed setting I easily cut through the SS, stopping every 5 seconds to spray WD40 for "cooling". Then I switched to the step bit. Using the same approach (drill, stop, cool), but at much lower speeds it took about 2 min/hole. You'll definitely need to be hold on tight as it binds a bit when it bites. I also noticed that as I got to the larger diameter steps I needed to reverse the drill. My drill just seemed to bite off more than it could chew on first cut. Reversing removed the burr, and then I continued cutting. The holes were surprisingly clean (no burrs) and looked great!

Good luck!
pete

Back