would WLP299 be a decent yeast for a DFH 90 min IPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallucinaut

Reaction score
So, I'm getting a big head start on my next brew, which will be in the next couple weeks.

I plan on brewing up an AG Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA clone, and I want to use WLP299 yeast (http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=13305) instead of what is recommended (WLP007).

My reasoning for wanting to use this yeast is because I live in a small, studio apartment that only has one of those window A/C units. It's pretty impractical to run it all day while at work, so my apartment will stay around 70-75F during the hottest parts of the day. I don't have the space or the money to buy a chest fridge and rig it to stay at optimum temps, so I am looking more for a yeast that will work with this brew and my conditions.

The reason I think this yeast will probably be best is because it is noted to have fruity flavors like apricot, which, if my brew turns out anything similar to DFH's 90 minute IPA, I think a little bit of apricot would a be pretty good addition, and also this yeast says it is optimal from 68F-78F which is in the temp range I can maintain.

My question simply is, will this yeast work with this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-90-minute-clone-260675/

If you have a yeast idea that you believe will be better, please post it.

Much thanks, members of HBT! :mug:

The recommended temp range for this yeast is 68 - 78 so you'll be fermenting on the high end of this range. Remember that fermentation generates heat and it's generally recommended that you ferment on the cooler side of the yeast working range.

How have you been able to maintain fermentation temps in the past? I would recommend that you look into using a swamp cooler. Just do a search for tons of info. It's what I use and I can easily maintain temps in the low 60's.

Cheers.

Throw it in Rubbermaid container filled with water up to the wort level and add an ice jug or 2 before you leave. I'm doing that right now with a 6 gallon better bottle of IIPA in a 31g Rubbermaid tote. A frozen empty milk jug keeps mine within the 66-68 degree range during the day with the thermostat set at 78 for the house. I pulled a sample last night to test and the temp was right at 67. I just swap it when I get home and again before bed and repeat the next day. 2 liter soda bottles work well too. It's really only a minor inconvenience, but I was able to keep my previous Kolsch batch at 64-66 and could have easily gotten it lower with more ice. I just set it up and let it get to temp before I pitch the yeast. I also used WLP001 on my 90-minute IPA, it was what I had available and it finished nice and clean, as long as you can keep the temps, too high and you get bananas... I can't speak for the 299 though, never used it myself.

Ok I will just do the rubber maid container idea.

I just stuck my brew that I made 2 days ago into the rubbermaid tote. Just adding ice and keeping it around 65F.

I'm just gonna scratch the whole 90 minute IPA idea altogether based on the fact that amarillo hops are so expensive right now. I live 60 minutes outside of yakima (where they are grown) and my LHBS still wants to charge $2.99 for an oz!

Oh well, this fall when they get more in stock, I'll buy a lb or 2 and brew up the 90 minute IPA... For now I think I may try my first smash beer.

Ok I will just do the rubber maid container idea.

I just stuck my brew that I made 2 days ago into the rubbermaid tote. Just adding ice and keeping it around 65F.

I'm just gonna scratch the whole 90 minute IPA idea altogether based on the fact that amarillo hops are so expensive right now. I live 60 minutes outside of yakima (where they are grown) and my LHBS still wants to charge $2.99 for an oz!

Oh well, this fall when they get more in stock, I'll buy a lb or 2 and brew up the 90 minute IPA... For now I think I may try my first smash beer.

Geez, I pay around $2.50/oz for them here in Florida at my LHBS and that's almost 3000 miles from Yakima. I just used 4oz of Amarillo(3 boil, 1 dry) in an 90-minute IIPA experiment I'm doing right now, along with a 3 others(8oz total in boil w/ 3oz in dry hop so far). Now that I think about it, it's almost $30 worth of hops in total. It really adds up fast. I think you have the right idea, buy it by the pound, I think I'll need to try that this year too.

Yeah, I'm going to start buying nearly all my hops by the pound. When hops are 2-3$ per oz thats about 30-50$ after you buy a pound in ozs... or you could pay $10-20 when buying as a pound. Seems like the way to go in my opinion.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/ seems like a pretty good site for this.

Latest posts

Back