"Dorm fridge fermentor"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1AndDoneAquite1

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a dorm fridge style chamber for fermenting in a detached garage in PA. My question is: Will ambient temparture stay warm enough using some type of thermostat control device in the cold winter months, if so can anyone recommend what type of device I should look for?

Last edited by a moderator:
How cold does it get?

flexwatt heat tape is probably a good option. It's cheap and easy.

It didn't for me. I use two dorm fridges as fermentation chambers in my attached garage and heaters in the cool months are a must. I use strip heaters taped around the vessel, but I've seen people use:

light bulb
light bulb in can
space heater
hair dryer
heating pad
ceramic bulb
aquarium heater in water bath
strip heaters

I prefer the strip heater because I find that it doesn't overshoot like the other methods do. With the other methods the air in the chamber is being heated. This air transfers heat to the wort through the vessel walls. The air in the fridge may become very hot before the wort catches up to the target temperature. This hot air continues to heat the wort well after the heat source has been turned off so now you will overshoot your temperature high. Now the fridge kicks in and reduces the air temp to very cold before the beer catches up and now you will overshoot your temperature low. Now you have huge temp swings. With a strip heater taped to the fermentor the heat is applied more directly to the wort drastically limiting these swings. At least that has been my experience.

Setesh.. I am thinking of a chamber to fit 3 carboys. Do you ever have to worry about it getting too hot in there?

Do you mean too hot like in the summer? Then yes, you most likely have to worry about it getting too hot.

You can check the DIY forum for specific ideas on chambers and temp controllers.

At a minimum you will want

• 2 stage temperature controller (has a both a heating and cooling plug)
  • Cooling device (refrigerator or chest freezer)
  • Heating device (like Gavin posted, light bulb in paint can, etc)

To prevent the cycling issue Setesh mentioned you put the temp probe in a gallon jug of water or one of the carboys. With multiple carboys you probably can't use the heat wrap/tape for heating.

Setesh.. I am thinking of a chamber to fit 3 carboys. Do you ever have to worry about it getting too hot in there?

Yes. You have to balance out the heat load with the cooling capacity of the unit while keeping your area's climate in mind. A chest freezer that will fit 3 carboys without modification is going to have a lot more cooling capacity than a dorm fridge that you built a large add on for to triple it's capacity. During a hot summer day the chest freezer will have no problem maintaining your fermentation temperature, while the dorm fridge creation may not be up to the challenge.

All dorm fridges aren't created equal either. One of mine is an older model unit and it has a huge coil. I use it for lagers because it can cool so quickly and effortlessly compared to the newer fridge with its tiny coil..

Back