Done fermenting!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnstve

Reaction score
So Friday night (2.5 days ago) I brewed an all grain batch. I will post everything I did below if you need it to answer this question. Anyway it was slow to start fermenting, I didn’t see many bubbles the first night and I was worried it would be a dud. Anyway, the morning it was like boiling in the 1 gallon carboy there was so much activity. The whole thing was bubbling and the wort was moving around. I’ve only made cider before, this is my first beer brew. The cider was never this active. Maybe it’s the yeast? I used mauribrew ale 514 I believe. Anyway, it seemed like it was going quite crazy, and now nothing. Maybe a bubble out the airlock every 10 minutes. Slowed down significantly last night and now is almost non existent this morning. Should I let it continue to ferment or is it done? Did I do something wrong?

Sounds like a perfectly normal fermentation. The only way to be sure it's done is to measure the gravity 2-3 days apart. If it's the same, and in the neighborhood of what you were expecting it's done. However, taking hydrometer samples from a 1 gallon batch can be wasteful. Alternatives would be a refractometer (which only requires a couple drops), or just wait a couple weeks with little/no visible activity and assume it's done. The extra time might give the yeast a chance to clean up some of their byproducts and help eliminate off flavors.

The only way to tell is with a hydrometer. The action slows down towards the end . I leave mine in the fermenter for 3 weeks . I'm gonna say your beer isnt done yet . Do you see little co2 bubbles floating up?

C0651A51-E70C-465F-BD6B-2240EB91091A.jpeg
800CE5D0-D1E4-43A8-835B-799D0287C5AE.jpeg
So I don’t have a hydrometer or refractomitor. Or anything to measure gravity. It’s my first brew and I didn’t want to spend a ton yet on this until I know I can do it or even like the process. I do so far so probably will get one some time.

As for bubbles, no bubbles that I see. But yeah I like the idea of it cleaning up and tasting better, so I’ll just wait. It’s not gonna ruin anything to wait for that long right? Like it won’t rot? Lol! I know the yeast kinda takes over and keeps bad stuff from growing but, I wasn’t sure if this is something to worry about. I’m attaching some pics.

In the brew I see little white flecks of stuff all over in it. Hopefully that’s ok?

Looks perfectly normal. And no, a couple weeks isn't going to harm it.

So when it’s done, say I wait 3 weeks.... when I bottle will it not fiz up anymore because all the sugar is eaten up? Should I add extra sugar at that point? If so, what sugar do you all recommend? I read something about some corn sugar or something making fiber bubbles? That sounds good to me. But I’m not sure what’s best. Could I just add regular white table sugar? Or do I need to buy the tablets? I’m sure the tablets are easier. What tablets you all recommend? I will need to get them on amazon.

When you bottle you'll have to add sugar to about 2 cups of boiling water. Use this priming calculator. Or you can do the sugar tabs.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator

You wouldn't want to use 2 cups of water for a 1 gallon batch. Just a couple of ounces is fine! I use about 4.5 ounces of sugar (by weight) for 5 gallons, so you won't need much for a one gallon batch. You do need to measure it with a scale, though. A teaspoon/tablespoon measurement isn't very accurate for this type of thing.

You wouldn't want to use 2 cups of water for a 1 gallon batch. Just a couple of ounces is fine! I use about 4.5 ounces of sugar (by weight) for 5 gallons, so you won't need much for a one gallon batch. You do need to measure it with a scale, though. A teaspoon/tablespoon measurement isn't very accurate for this type of thing.

Good catch lol ! I guess I assume everyone brews 5 gallons ;)

Back