Does Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout contain Lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
When I drink it I perceive a sweetness that almost resembles Lactose. Is there lactose sugar in Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout? And if not, any idea where the sweetness comes from?

Not sure it's even underattenuated. Maybe it tastes sweet in comparison to the acrid, burnt stuff from those guys in Dublin, and all the American crafties? Samuel Smith are very secretive about recipes, but traditional British stouts and porters are quite smooth, made with pale or mild malt, possibly amber, brown, or crystal malts, dark sugars, very restrained use of black malt (often added at the end of the boil to minimize flavor contribution,) and further color from brewers caramel. Significant portions of dark roasted malts are rare, and the use of roasted barley even rarer.

The head is brown. Doesn't that mean roasted barley?

Never thought about it like that but come to think of it the only brown head I get is in my stouts, which of course has roasted barley . So it seems logical to me.

Attachments

• 20191231_151232.jpg
    20191231_151232.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20191231_151114.jpg
    20191231_151114.jpg
    804.3 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back