Does my yeast ready to go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malitaniya

Reaction score
I tried to collect some wild yeast using grapes left at my refrigerator and I don't know if it is ready to use.

This is my yeast:
IMG20200926191708.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to collect some wild yeast using grapes left at my refrigerator and I don't know if it is ready to use.

This is my yeast:
View attachment 700058
How many step up starters did you do? Also did you Taste your starter wort yet to see how it tastes? When im collecting Wild cultures I always do this to make sure they don’t produce any overly funky phenols or esters.

Right now it looks like clean healthy culture but you may want to rock another starter to ensure a proper pitch rate.

How many step up starters did you do? Also did you Taste your starter wort yet to see how it tastes? When im collecting Wild cultures I always do this to make sure they don’t produce any overly funky phenols or esters.

Right now it looks like clean healthy culture but you may want to rock another starter to ensure a proper pitch rate.

I only made 1 step up starter and I also didn't taste the wort. I'm new at brewing and only watching YouTube is my guide, thanks to you I learned new about wild yeast because I want to culture it just to not waste money

I only made 1 step up starter and I also didn't taste the wort. I'm new at brewing and only watching YouTube is my guide, thanks to you I learned new about wild yeast because I want to culture it just to not waste money

I highly recommend you save money another way. If your yeast is bad, you may not know it until after you've put a lot of money and time into brewing and fermenting your beer, only to realize it has off flavors in the end. That's not a happy feeling.

Fortunately, yeast is one place you can save money. I recommend starting with a good commercial strain. You can build your starters a little big on purpose, and save the leftovers to make a starter for your next batch. If you're brewing a modest gravity beer, you can harvest yeast from the fermenter after fermentation is complete and just use that if you are brewing again soon. Paying $8/batch for liquid yeast adds up, but with these techniques, you don't have to be out all that money, nor do you have to risk a wild strain that may not make good beer.

I highly recommend you save money another way. If your yeast is bad, you may not know it until after you've put a lot of money and time into brewing and fermenting your beer, only to realize it has off flavors in the end. That's not a happy feeling.

Fortunately, yeast is one place you can save money. I recommend starting with a good commercial strain. You can build your starters a little big on purpose, and save the leftovers to make a starter for your next batch. If you're brewing a modest gravity beer, you can harvest yeast from the fermenter after fermentation is complete and just use that if you are brewing again soon. Paying $8/batch for liquid yeast adds up, but with these techniques, you don't have to be out all that money, nor do you have to risk a wild strain that may not make good beer.
Noted sir! Will do my best to save and buy some best yeast for brewing.

I have a similar problem i have brewed Irish stout and it has an over powering sour vinegar like taste. I heard stout can take time to condition but i have a feeling its a bad batch. I was thinking i could wash the yeast but after reading this im thinking best be safe and start fresh.

Back